Kitchen sink disposal leak and no more normal drainage

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When your cable got stuck, did you try running it in reverse to pull it back? Also, does the cable have a head on it? Depending on how many turns, if the cable has a head or bulb on the end, the thickness of the cable and how far downward it goes, all of this may make it harder to retrieve. I use a 3/8" cable without any head or blade on the end for a kitchen sink. Just a slight bend on it. I find a 3/8" cable is best. I know guys that use 1/2". It's too much at times for 1 1/2" pipe. As the cable goes down a stack with turns the weight of the cable will give you more resistance the further you go.

Always try and run it when retrieving it back. And it just may be that it is a lot of turns to quick causing more resistance. I would follow up again with cleaning it.

Also try and figure how many feet it is to where your drain connects to the main or branch line. You may not have enough cable. I've had lines 40ft+ long for kitchen sinks.

When I hear that a homeowner got a cable stuck I always think they used a small super flexible cable and it tied itself in a knot inside the drain.

Pro tips:
Let the cable do the work.
Use a good quality cable of the correct size for the job,

I used Kobalt 1/4-in x 25-ft High Carbon Wire Drain Auger from Lowes.
Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 11.04.07 AM.png

When it was stuck, I tried turning it counter-clockwise and clockwise, but it was still stuck. I ended up having to pull it by both hands with a lot of force.

I snaked the pipe again yesterday but use less than 1/3 of the full cable. And last night the pipe all the sudden "opened" up. I hope the clog has fallen through into the sewer. Fingers crossed.

I used Kobalt 1/4-in x 25-ft High Carbon Wire Drain Auger from Lowes.
View attachment 38255

When it was stuck, I tried turning it counter-clockwise and clockwise, but it was still stuck. I ended up having to pull it by both hands with a lot of force.

I snaked the pipe again yesterday but use less than 1/3 of the full cable. And last night the pipe all the sudden "opened" up. I hope the clog has fallen through into the sewer. Fingers crossed
Awesome! Your line was grease and soap build up it looked like. So you should be fine. Anytime you clean a line with all that buildup, whether it's going down good or not you should always run water then clean it again

Back