Kitchen sink clogged (just installed Insinkerator disposal)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martyrose1004

Reaction score
I recently installed an Insinkerator 1100XL garbage disposal. Last night the sink backed up. I disconnected the trap and tried the disposal. I put a bucket underneath and ran it with a little food. It drains fine. I then added some water to the line under the sink and it backed up, so I know it's not the disposal. I ran a 25 foot snake (drill powered) in the line a few times and nothing came up. Still clogged.

My questions:
1. If it's only the kitchen sink backed up and every other sink and toilet in the house are fine, does that mean the clog is closer to the sink or can it still be near the trap at the main pipe? Mine is in the garage. I removed the cap and tried the smaller snake, but it kinks.
2. Should I try a longer snake underneath the kitchen sink or rent a motorized auger from Home Depot to use near the main line?
3. Is it just trial and error finding where the clog is?
THANK YOU!

if you have access clear your kitchen drain from below make sure you have enough cable to reach the main.....you gotta snake it multiple times to clean the pipe walls if you can change heads go from small to big.

If you just added the garburator, chances are your p-trap and drainage is 1 1/2” pipe. This has proven time and time again to be insufficient size for a garburator. 2” is now standard

if you have access clear your kitchen drain from below make sure you have enough cable to reach the main.....you gotta snake it multiple times to clean the pipe walls if you can change heads go from small to big.
insinkerator is a great brand i use them all the time ....its your drain....you have to snake it.. from beginning to where it ties into the main drain

Back