Kitchen Sink Back-Up Problems for the Last 27 Years...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeezix

Reaction score
Every year like clockwork since moving in to my house I have had to root out my kitchen sink drain pipe. I'm getting too old to fart with it and am losing patience with the situation. Maybe somebody here can give me some tips?

My house was built in 1982 and I've lived in it since 1995. It is a 2-story house with the kitchen on the main floor and a finished basement below. The basement has acoustical tiles that can be removed, and I can see the drain pipe running across the basement from the kitchen. The kitchen has a double sink. Under the left sink is a garbage disposal. A waste pipe connects the disposal output to the tail pipe that's underneath the right sink. From there, water drains from the sink through a P-trap, into the wall, and down to the basement.

Below is a drawing of the under-sink plumbing.

Kitchen Drains Drawing 480 px.jpg
The left part of the drawing shows how the dishwasher drain was originally connected. In 2019 I disconnected the dishwasher drain from the standpipe and connected it to the sink drain on the right. Then I removed the stand pipe and installed a cap where it says "to Sewer" at the left of the drawing. (That connection is not shown on the drawing.) In other words, everything now drains to the sewer shown on the right side of the drawing, and the standpipe to the left sewer has been removed.

In the center of the drawing is the 1st clean-out. The 2-inch ABS drain pipe goes down to and past the clean-out, through a 90-degree el, then runs about 16-20 feet (with the appropriate slope) underneath the kitchen floor to a 2nd 90-degree el and into the garage. From there it goes straight through 2nd clean-out and finally (with the appropriate slope) into the main 4-inch(?) sewer pipe. (None of this is shown in the drawing.)

Grease builds up in the 2-inch drain pipe and when the build-up is sufficient, the kitchen sink backs up. It does drain out after several minutes, and when the drain pipe is empty it takes a minute or so after I let the water run for the water to back up into the sink again. By the way, all garbage goes into a garbage bag and NOT into the garbage disposal.

To clean it out, I insert a 3/8-inch, 50-foot snake into the 2nd clean-out (in the garage) and push it through the 2nd turn towards the sink. Sometimes some resistance is encountered at that point but eventually I get it through. From there I can push the snake another 20 feet before it encounters resistance that I cannot get past. I don't know if the resistance is at the 1st turn or if it is farther up towards the sink.

The War Dept. got tired of me rooting the pipe out every year so last week when the sink backed up she put some vinegar and some baking soda down the kitchen drain. A few minutes later she ran hot water through it. After doing that a few times, the sink finally drained. However, 5 days later it backed up again. So much for the vinegar-baking soda "fix".

I think that the problem is my 3/8-inch snake will only clear about a 1/2-inch hole through the clog and I cannot get a cutter to go through the els. What can I do so that I don't have to root the drain pipe out every year?????

Remove any sags or bellies.

Replace with pvc if it’s not pvc already.

Run more water on a day to day basis

Remove the garbage disposal

Vinegar and water only works to clean debris from around the tailpiece going to the trap and inside garbage disposal. Sounds like you have a fair distance of 2" piping and I would assume the grease is solidifying along its journey. What are you putting down the drain, also like two said the disposal is adding bits and chunks to the problem.

Yeh, if you use a claw on your snake it will scrape the sides if it's a spade head it will just seal up when pulling it back, the same goes for a spring head

Why do you suggest removing the garbage disposal? The only things that go into it are electricity when I turn the switch on, and soapy water when I hand-wash a few dishes such as a plate or two and a couple knives and forks. I never, ever put anything else into the disposal, and its output runs directly to the other sink's tail pipe (above the P-trap).

Each time I clean out the pipe, it's good for another 10-12 months...

Why do you suggest removing the garbage disposal? The only things that go into it are electricity when I turn the switch on, and soapy water when I hand-wash a few dishes such as a plate or two and a couple knives and forks. I never, ever put anything else into the disposal, and its output runs directly to the other sink's tail pipe (above the P-trap).

Each time I clean out the pipe, it's good for another 10-12 months...
I think that poster Is just telling you to get rid of it, until know you explained that you do use it properly, I just cleared a grease stoppage, I used a claw that was about an 1" wide, and cable was 75' long you have to push it in and pull it back multiple times until it goes in fairly easy then flush with LOTS of hot water I usually remove the aerator to get as much water down there

I think that poster Is just telling you to get rid of it, until know you explained that you do use it properly, I just cleared a grease stoppage, I used a claw that was about an 1" wide, and cable was 75' long you have to push it in and pull it back multiple times until it goes in fairly easy then flush with LOTS of hot water I usually remove the aerator to get as much water down there
Use a paper towel to wipe off any /all grease from dishes .cooking items before your wash. Grease buils up and will eventually cog your drains

If you don’t use the disposal it would be a good idea to remove it. They catch particles of food and will stink.

If you do use the disposal then that’s contributing to the drain problem.

Cable the drain with a professional cable while flowing plenty of hot water.

If you're pretty sure it's grease buildup get some BIOCLEAN or other enzyme drain cleaner. They are good products but you have to use them consistently for weeks to actually clear the drain of grease. I've gone back on PVC pipe that was stuffed with grease and a few months later looked like brand new pipe! Once it's eaten most of the grease (2 months maybe) you can go to a once every couple of weeks dose, but you will need to use it pretty much forever to keep the drain clean.
I don't think it works as well on ald galvanized steel, but 1982 will probably be all PVC or ABS anyway.
Give it one last snaking with your little baby snake and start using an enzyme drain cleaner right away and I bet you'll be fine.
Good luck-
Tim Whistler

Tim and Tom, that Bio-Clean looks like it could be some pretty good stuff. Expensive to be sure but how much does your typical service call from a plumber cost? May be good preventive maintenance to a system that is currently flowing adequately.

I’m going to mix a concoction of crap and put it in a bottle.

Call it “ TwoWaxHack’s toilet seal in a bottle “

Watch the masses lap it up and get filthy rich. 🤡

I was not a believer in enzyme drain cleaners until I saw with my own eyes what a huge difference they made.
The key words are 'must use consistently'.
I tell people all the time if you're going to put it on a shelf and let it sit there don't even spend the money.
By the way at $30 or $40 a can for a two or three months supply, I'm not sure how anybody is calling that 'expensive'?!
Buncha freakin' tightwads here.. 😉

Back