Kitchen hot water valve won't turn.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skald89

Reaction score
Last night I wanted to change the cartridge for my kitchen faucet. I was able to close the oval shape knob for the cold water. The hot water one would not move. I tried removing the center screw and tapping it to loosen it. Neither helped and it won't turn to shut it off. My main water shut off valve is also messed up and I dont want to touch that to fix this. What can I do to get the hot water valve to turn and shut off? It's a full turn valve.

d1410SX.jpg

d1410SX

You could try loosening the packing nut a little, but without a viable way of shutting down the water I'd be a little cautious.
There should be a valve above the water heater.

You could try loosening the packing nut a little, but without a viable way of shutting down the water I'd be a little cautious.
There should be a valve above the water heater.

I can shut off my main water but its not something I want to touch because its already broken. On other forums people suggested shutting it of from my water boiler. I don't know how to do that though. If i do that im not sure how to fix or replace this valve.

Even if you close the cold water inlet valve at the water heater, water can still flow through alternate routes, such as through shower valves and faucet cartridges, and can come gushing out of the stuck valve you are trying to fix.

You need to repair your main water shutoff valve.
Before anything else.
And this is not a DIY job, hire a plumber for that.
And while he is doing that, he can install a second main shutoff a few feet from the old repaired one, as a backup, to avoid a flood if the old one fails again.

If you get a burst pipe or other type of serious plumbing leak someday, that main shutoff has to be working, or you will get a flood that could cost you thousands or tens of thousands of dollars.

Even if you close the cold water inlet valve at the water heater, water can still flow through alternate routes, such as through shower valves and faucet cartridges, and can come gushing out of the stuck valve you are trying to fix.

You need to repair your main water shutoff valve.
Before anything else.
And this is not a DIY job, hire a plumber for that.
And while he is doing that, he can install a second main shutoff a few feet from the old repaired one, as a backup, to avoid a flood if the old one fails again.

If you get a burst pipe or other type of serious plumbing leak someday, that main shutoff has to be working, or you will get a flood that could cost you thousands or tens of thousands of dollars.

Im starting to look for a certified plumber to do the main valve. Should I supply the parts to get a better valve or rely on that they would buy quality parts? After they install the shut off valve(s) can I fix the hot water shut off under the sink myself to save some money or just get them to fix it? Trying to gauge the difficulty if I could do it myself.

If yiu look at the handle does it say (brass craft)? If you gently grab the oval handle it may move,if it is a brass craft xalve it is simple to rebuild the are only 2 rubber washers shut off your house mainlossen the bigger nut. A lttle then take off the handle.continue loosening tne nut and thread out the stem there will be a washer at the bottom of tbe stemand one under tbe big nut i always hve a handful in my van

Here are some better pictures of the valve

Attachments

• IMG_20200305_223858680.jpg
    IMG_20200305_223858680.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200305_223922255.jpg
    IMG_20200305_223922255.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
I tried testing the cold water valve. After it fully tightens the water still flows, albeit a lot slower.

I would ask them to fix everything, even though the hot valve is easy to fix, (if you know how), they could fix it fast and cheap.

They can just install the guts of a new valve of the same type, in the existing valve body.
It takes only a few minutes to fix like this.

And definitely have a second main shutoff installed.

Just request good quality parts, and a good plumber has no reason to cheat you with junky parts.

Geofd, the OP already said his main water shutoff is broken, and he does not want to touch it.

That's an rpz turn those blue handles your water will shut off

Your picture is blurry and is shot from too high of an angle.

Meanwhile, it looks like those are two ball valves, one on each side of some component between them.
The component might be a check valve or a pressure reducing valve.
Those ball valves would be there to make it easier to maintain or replace that component.

It looks like your plumbing goes from the water meter to a Tee fitting, then it goes both up and down from there.

Take some pictures from more straight on, from lower down nearer the meter.

It also looks like your main shutoff is a gate valve, and old gate valves will often fail, either they won’t fully open and close, or the handle can just spin and nothing happens, because the internal gate broke loose from the handle.

Back