Kitchen faucet water line leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ybrik

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forums!
Posting from Canada and would like to get some advice on a slow leak on the cold waterline of the kitchen faucet. This copper tubing is on the attached on the faucet itself.

65DEBbv.jpg

yZg0frJ.jpg

Not sure how do I remedy this, as water is seeping out on top of the bold and the copper tubing.
Are these two soldered together? I haven't done anything yet as I'm worried if I try to remove it for inspection, it might make the leak worse.

I was looking to some youtube videos and didn't find one how to repair this, and from what I saw there, the bolt and copper tube are fixed together?

Thanks in advance!

That’s a solder joint from the factory.

You’ll need to cut that fitting off above the leak.

You can put it back several different ways. Typically compression Union,solder or for a homeowner you might want a push fit fitting like a sharkbite.

When you cut the tubing make sure you go slow and not deform the tube., very important.

Or you could just replace the faucet. .

Is there a compression union fitting to replace this that does not require soldering?

You could remove the chromed copper supply and heat that brass fitting, when you get it hot, gently wiggle it off the pipe.

Then while it’s still hot, wipe the excess solder off the tube with a paper towel..

Or you can cut it off with cutters.

The leak is on the copper pipe, that is the one going to faucet.
But should I still work on the chrome supply pipe?

The leak is on the copper pipe, that is the one going to faucet.
But should I still work on the chrome supply pipe?
You’ll need to remove it. Get a new one piece stainless supply line to replace it with.

Take a pic of the entire underneath of the sink cabinet from a few feet back.

ok will do. I was thinking replacing it with sharkbite connections would have an extra job in the future when replacing the faucet.
I bet the chromed/stainless tube is a bit harder to cut than the copper pipe.

ok will do. I was thinking replacing it with sharkbite connections would have an extra job in the future when replacing the faucet.
I bet the chromed/stainless tube is a bit harder to cut than the copper pipe.
There are a few ways to do it. Do what you think is easiest for you. Take what you remove to the store with you snd ask for help with the parts to replace what you have.

Good luck.

Here it is:
LPkPNoa.jpg

I was thinking if soldering to plug the suspected leak area would work for now.
Sounds like a plan, keep us updated !

I wouldn’t do it that way but then again I’m not doing the work.

For a homeowner I would suggest cutting the fitting off the copper tube.

Once a bare, round smooth copper tube was prepared. I’d use this......,

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-...qQPcIO0e94Z2n4lE2FkaArIAEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Then I’d use one of these of the appropriate length to connect the fitting above to your existing stop valve. They come in several lengths.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plumbsh...Dy9ivBEgfSi9pAHZL7caAm23EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Assemble the stainless hose to the sharkbite fitting. Then push the sharkbite onto the copper, then connect the stainless hose to your stop valve.

It’s a 5 minute process. Literally.

Last edited:
Hi, I am a homeowner and cannot solder. When I read your post I thought what an easy fix it is. Twowaxhack nailed it. Literally a 5 minute fix, and not just for an experienced plumber. You can totally do this using the parts he linked for you. To cut the pipe get a copper pipe cutter like this. it is easy to use in small spaces. gradually tighten it. If you get impatient and crank it down it will push the pipe in at the cut which you dont want. Then just de-burr it with sandpaper, and also run fine sand paper around the outside of the pipe end to clean it. A sharkbite on a dirty pipe will certainly leak in my experience.
Good luck.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/milwaukee-tool-1-2-inch-mini-copper-tubing-cutter/1001385647

Back