Kitchen faucet very low flow - options

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK. But in case this was lost in a lengthy post: stopwatch-tested water flow is 1 gallon in 75 seconds.

If 1.5 gallons really took 1 minute, it should take about 40 seconds to get one gallon. So, I am a little over half the advertised speed.

Perhaps this is normal. I know some items advertise theoretical maximums that are rarely encountered in real life. For example, wireless routers may claim a range of 500 feet in perfect conditions, but real-world range might be 150 feet.

I am planning to ask a plumber (acquaintance of a friend) for suggestions, and on Monday, I'll call Moen and ask if they have anything they can offer me to help. Thanks for all advice and help.

You might not need pro help here.

Ask anyone you know who is truly handy, a co-worker, neighbor, relative, to help find the flow restrictor.

Or google your faucet model, and “remove flow restrictor”, videos will pop right up.

Look up your faucet model number and instructions, it will show you where each part is and what to clean. Most manufacturers will send you parts for free if needed.
Connect a long supply line to your valve and put the other end in a bucket, if you have good flow and pressure then that points you to the faucet. Check both hot and cold. It’s unlikely you have to bad faucets.
500$ to install a c/s faucet is ridiculous. It should take no more then an hour. Sounds like you need help but you may want to find another plumber

I remember when low flow kitchen faucets first came out I replaced a kitchen faucet for a client with a Moen faucet. I was getting less than 1 GPM so I called Moen. They told me that the faucet rating in GPM is based on 85 psi city water pressure. The client had a drilled well with 30-50 psi water pressure. I found the flow restrictor and removed it.

The other is a Moen Sarai, bought today at Lowe's,
Same type faucet as the previous one.
Most Probable: Flow restrictor, which is located inside the pull-out "spray. wand".
But first - unscrew the spray wand from hose, and see what kind of pressure you have there. If it's good, you know the problemis further down the line, as in spray wand.

Good Luck !

Back