Kitchen faucet sometimes only trickles water unless I turn on another faucet in house

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PVC

Reaction score
Sometimes when I go to turn on the kitchen faucet it will only have a small trickle, not the usual high pressure water flow. I usually go to the bathroom and turn on the sink faucet there and the kitchen faucet starts working again...or at least it used to. That trick used to work consistently but now only works randomly.

What's strange is that this is the only faucet in the house I have this issue with. Usually when this occurs I notice the faucet makes a strange thud sound ever so slightly like a heavy firewood log landing on the grass. It sounds like it's caused by air.

House: two water heaters. 3 toilets, 2 showers, one bath, one kitchen, washer, 2-3 outdoor spigots.

can you post a picture of the faucet?
does it have a pull out hose on the side?

That is odd.

Try pulling the aerator, to increase flow, and see if that changes the issue.

And, I’ll second Mr_David: pictures, and does it have a pullout?

Does it do it for both hot and cold water?
Sounds like something may have gotten loose and is blocking the flow. When it has full pressure behind the blockage it has less flow because it's possible that turning on another faucet elsewhere relieves some of that pressure and allows more flow.
If it's both, hot and cold, problem is likely in the faucet.
If only hot or cold, then it could go back to the nearest shutoff valve.

Establishing whether it's both H & C or just one of them will help dictate the next moves. Like whether it's something in the spout or in the supply lines, etc.

pull the supplies use new ones but first with the new supplies aim them....one at a time into a bucket t open the stop and see what you pressures are on each side

I have seen a moen do this. The diverter for sprayer gets jammed. Easier to replace faucet than try to repair.

I agree with James and others on the diverter. Turn the faucet on full blast and turn on your spray and see if
that helps. If it does it again I would replace it.

Latest posts

Back