kitchen faucet keeps coming loose

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eng3

Reaction score
I have a moen kitchen faucet that keeps coming loose. From below, I can tighten the nut, however it will not stay tight. As soon as I take my hand or wrench off the nut, it starts spinning backwards.

The other issue is that who ever initially drilled the hole, did not align it properly so you can see it is partially touching and the other side is just hanging. I did manage to cut a plate to stick in there so that it fills the gap like a shim. However, it keeps falling out since everything comes loose.

Attachments

• IMG-20211126-072716.jpg
    IMG-20211126-072716.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 11
Looks to me like the hoses are not in the proper position and this is keeping the mounting hardware from sitting flat.

If the nut will not tighten and stay tight call moen and let them warranty it.

When enough people complain and make them warranty their junk they might change how it’s made.

Where would the C washer go in the stack?

I looked at the pic again and it appears they undernounted a cast iron sink that had holes.

Problem appears to be the hole in the granite doesn’t match up to the hole in the sink.

This doesn’t let the mounting gear sit flat.

That’s a problem.

Yes, I mentioned that in my original post. I was able to cut a plate to stick in the hole to fill the gap so it sits flush, however it still won't tighten down.

The right way would be to drill the hole bigger, but the countertop is installed. short of destroying the granite, I don't see another solution

The C washer is the first piece of metal under the sink that the hex head bolt pinches against the sink base to stop if from getting loose.

I was able to cut a plate to stick in the hole to fill the gap so it sits flush, however it still won't tighten down.

This tells me that you need a new faucet.

No more to discuss.

Yeah, a closer look reveals lots of rust and certainly agree that a new faucet would give you 10 years of peace of mind.

I’m thinking the threaded mounting pipe is spinning in the body and it won’t get tight. It’s aluminum.

Wouldn't a new faucet have the exact same issue?

I should note, this was a replacement of the original though it wasnt the same.
The original fit find but started falling apart so I contacted moen and they sent this one, however I could never get it to install tight because it never fit properly. I can't increase the size of the hole since the sink is made of metal so the best I could do is cut up some scrap parts I had to fill the gap so the thing would sit flush, but I could never get the nut to tighten properly. I have plenty of room for my wrench to get in there, but it just wont stay tight.

I guess I can ask moen again, I don't know if their replacements also have lifetime warranties

I’ve had to custom make metal mounting brackets in similar situations. Nothing out of a box would fit.

It’s simple but it takes time and for me , time is money.

Latest posts

Back