Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bornitz

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an older (1965) ranch style home with a slab foundation, with 1 3/4 bathrooms (1 full bath, 1 with only shower stall). All bathroom plumbing works well. The plumbing was replaced with copper at some point, but I don't know when or have any details since it was prior to my purchase.

The main line was replaced several years ago due to tree roots cracking the pipe in the front yard. The washing machine in the garage works well, no issues.

I have a double kitchen sink (right side goes into disposal unit) and the left side will occasionally back up and then drain very slowly. I've even occasionally seen a small amount of dirt/mud. The dishwasher (which I wouldn't dare use now) is to the left and they are all against an outside wall next to the side yard.

I contacted my home warranty (since dropped) and they sent a plumber, who ran a sewer camera (down through a vent on the roof) and they said that their device got stuck, saw a backup, and indicated that there was probably a cracked pipe somewhere, but could not be more specific.

Is there any other way without digging inside the house to locate the exact source of the problem?

I spoke to one plumber who said that he could reroute from the side yard (new trench) to the sewer line out front. Would that be the most cost effective and least invasive way to fix this?

Also, is there any way to find a schematic/diagram of what the plumbing might look like in a ranch style (single story) house on a slab foundation? I haven't had a chance to go to the county assessor's office to see if they maintain blue prints (or something similar) and even if they did, my understanding is that the way the pipes are run are at the discretion of the builder and plumber who did the upgrade. I'm actually very interested in understanding how the kitchen drain line meets up with the rest of the house's plumbing and how that connects to the main line out front.

Thanks in advance,
Bonnie

If the bathroom drains work well, it sounds like the problem is just a clogged sink drain line under your slab, not out in the main sewer line.

Snake out the kitchen drain through the clean out under the sink, or take off the trap and go in through the trap adapter at the back wall of the cabinet.

Or have a pro snake that drain line.

In a ranch house, the clog might be farther away than you think.

The plumbers who ran a camera should have gotten a reading which showed how far in their camera was, which can help figure out where the trouble is.

They also should have left you a copy of the recording of their camera inspection.

FYI, home warranty companies often hire the cheapest idiots they can find.
Not always, but the lowest bidders are who they send out.

The plumbers who ran a camera should have gotten a reading which showed how far in their camera was, which can help figure out where the trouble is.

They also should have left you a copy of the recording of their camera inspection.

FYI, home warranty companies often hire the cheapest idiots they can find.
Not always, but the lowest bidders are who they send out.

Thanks so much, Jeff. That's why I dropped them. They really went downhill over the years and I finally realized that it was a waste of money. I'll call someone to do what you suggested. Thanks again.

Sometimes if a traditional snake won’t work, a water jetter will go through.

It is kind of like a pressure washer, the water comes out like a laser and cuts through clogs and breaks them up.

PS make sure you don’t use the food disposal as a magical garbage can.

Scrape off plates thoroughly before rinsing the rest into the disposal.

Don’t throw bones, celery, anything stringy or anything fibrous in there.

Actually, don’t throw anything in there, besides using it for rinsing crud stuck to dishes after scraping.

PS make sure you don’t use the food disposal as a magical garbage can.

Scrape off plates thoroughly before rinsing the rest into the disposal.

Don’t throw bones, celery, anything stringy or anything fibrous in there.

Actually, don’t throw anything in there, besides using it for rinsing crud stuck to dishes after scraping.

Thanks again, Jeff. I am vigilant about NOT putting anything down there.

Once they unclog the drain, start using an enzyme cleaner such as Drain Care every week or two.

Just a spoonful of powder that you mix with a quart of warm water, and dump into the drain at bedtime.

It will gradually soften up grease, soap, and fibers so they can rinse away.

And run your disposal once in a while, or it will rust out, jam up, or clog.

Great news! My friend recommended a great plumber and there was gunk in the pipe on the left side. Once he cleared it, he ran the 75ft snake straight through and the drain line was clear. Even my old dishwasher works fine. He suggested having the drain line snaked every 2 years for maintenance, and assured me that there was no sign of a collapsed or broken drain pipe. Thanks again!

Great news!

But you still should start using the Drain Care type of enzyme cleaners down there, every week or so.
It takes about twenty seconds to mix a spoonful in a quart of warm water and dump it down the kitchen drain at bedtime.

Cheaper than having the drain line rodded.

Another trick I've found effective is, maybe twice a month, fill kitchen sink with water, then pull stopper on the drain and turn on the disposer. Flushes the drains clean.

Back