Kitchen Drain FIASCO! Please HELP!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Distressed

Reaction score
So I'm a college student visiting my younger sister and pops for Thanksgiving around their house.

My sister (10) hates the friggin oatmeal my dad makes her eat so she she threw it down the kitchen drain (not knowing what happens) one morning. She doesn't wanna tell the pops (obv) and told me and I don't know what to do at all.

Here's what I see:
- a lot of clumps of oatmeal when I lift the rubber thingy and peer down the sink.
- Metal parts which I assume are the garbage disposer.

Here's what I hear:
- Normally I would hear whirring sounds when the garbage disposer is running as if something where get chopped/shredded.
- Now I hear a loud ringing sound of metal as if something is stuck or not moving everytime I on it.

HELP! What can I do? How bad is this? I heard oatmeal is like friggin glue! Will vinegar and baking soda work? What quantities and do I have to heat stuff up?

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!

Look under the disposal. Most have a hex keyway at the bottom. If you have one, hook a hex tool and move it back and forth, which may free the disposal and allow to turn. Once working, AND with alot of water, you may get that oatmeal to push down the drain.

Check if she threw her spoon in to the disposal with the oatmeal. UNPLUG or shut off power to the disposal prior to digging around in the oatmeal mess.

It's been a week since original post. probably resolved it or just went back to school.

Reactions: SHR
No, I'm back for Christmas break :/ Problem still not fixed. Here is what I did.

-I stuck my hand in from the top and cleaned all visible oatmeal and threw it out.
-Cleaned any other gunk.
-poured hot water down the drink.

What to do now?

You may have a red reset button on the bottom of the disposal. If so, push and try it again.

Back