Kitchen double sink backing up...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspahn

Reaction score
I have a double sink in my kitchen along with a dishwasher and garbage disposal. If I run water in one sink, it backs up into the other sink- same result regardless of which sink I run water into. It takes a good couple of minutes before the backup happens if I run either sink. If I run the garbage disposal, the water immediately drains. If I turn the water back on, the sink starts to back up again after a few minutes. This just started today. Do I have a garbage disposal problem? I don’t think it’s after the disposal because running the disposal clears it- but I was able to do this 5 times in a row and it still backed up. I also noticed the sink not directly connected to the disposal (water drain goes to the disposal, mouth of the disposal in the other sink) makes a glug sound that started happening At the same time as the backup. Any ideas? thanks!

It's probably clogged after the p-trap/s. A running garbage disposal can force water down, but if the pipes are clogged up, just running the sink will leave it backed up.

Do you have a clean-out on the line? Otherwise, you can always take the traps off (hopefully they have nuts for easy removal), and you can snake out the line that way, too.

If you don't have a snake, a small hand-crank, or drill powered one might do the job. If the clog is further in the line, you might need to call a drain cleaning company.

You might also try stoppering both sinks. Fill sink connected to disposer with water. Turn on disposer, and remove only stopper in that sink.

Snake is the most effective choice, this is easier, but may not remove as much of the clog.... If any.

Pour a box of baking soda into the drain, then pour 1/2 gallon of cheap, white vinegar. After 30 minutes, flush with hot water.

Thanks so much for the replies! I started with the snake because I saw that reply first. Here is a quick update on the drain setup- left sink has the disposal the disposal has a j-pipe and an elbow to get to the drain. The pipe transitions to steel. There is about 15” horizontal pipe that goes to a 45 degree elbow. The elbow attaches to the vertical pipe. The vertical is also metal, is the right sink drains into an S-trap that is PVC, then goes down the vertical under the kitchen and out to the sewage pump. I have well water and public sewer. So I removed the S-trap and fed 1/4” 25’ snake as far Down as I could- effectively using the vertical as the clean out For the kitchen drain. But it still seems clogged and the snake came back clean. This isn’t a big house and so would be amazed if the kitchen sink was more than about 25 feet from the grinder. Is it possible that the snake went up another drain instead of down? I think the baking soda approach makes the most sense next...
Thanks!

I poured Drano Maxx down the drain (Had it open so I could bypass the disposal and sink plumbing), followed directions, and chased it down with a ton of hot tap water @140 (Not boiling but certainly hot!) Clog looks worse.. at best it's the same. Next I'm going to try plugging one sink and using a plunger on the other side...

Time to get a professional with a camera. They can tell if you have massive root intrustion,a collapsed line, or one hell of a stoppage.

Going with option 3- I can see underneath the house- no roots, no excess moisture. Pipe runs through the ceiling of a basement to a grinder pump, and no other drains are clogged or backing up. Should I have another couple of go-rounds with the Drano? It was a twin pack, and each time you try they say to use half a bottle... so I can use it 4 times.

Back