Kerdi-Board in shower - need help with install

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pulper1

Reaction score
Hello - I'm hoping someone can help me with my install of Kerdi Board for my shower. I've attached some pictures to show you my issue.

My studs are 16" apart. The sheets of kerdi board that I'm installing are 48" long. Therefore, on the edge studs, they cover 1/2". In order to get the screws to go into the edge studs, I need to place the washers near the edge of the board. This leaves about 1/3 of the washer sticking out past the edge of the kerdi board.

Now, if another kerdi-board was butting up against the edge, I would place the washer in between the two boards, like I did in one of the pictures (the blurry one). However, in one situation I'm having, the kerdi board will be butted up against drywall which will of course need some kind of transition. So I'm not sure how to handle that.

In the other case, the edge of the board is in the corner so I can't put the washer between perpendicular boards.

I've also attached a picture or two of the gap when placing another kerdi board in the corner, perpendicular. I am not sure if this is something where I should move the washers over so they don't extend past the board (and I would have to angle the screws so it goes into the stud, if possible). Or, should I simply put the two perpendicular boards there and the kerdi-band will fill in the gap.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_2073.JPG
    IMG_2073.JPG
    479.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2072.JPG
    IMG_2072.JPG
    522.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2071.JPG
    IMG_2071.JPG
    484.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2070.JPG
    IMG_2070.JPG
    396.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2069.JPG
    IMG_2069.JPG
    446.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2068.JPG
    IMG_2068.JPG
    609.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2067.JPG
    IMG_2067.JPG
    468 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2064.JPG
    IMG_2064.JPG
    524 KB · Views: 13
Here are the instructions from Schluter:
https://resources.schluter.com/media/psi/Schluter KerdiBoard TearPad - 553600.pdfThe instructions that I've read and watched online are as follows (and directly from the link above):

1. "Abut the individual panels over the center of the studs or other solid backing. Screws may be placed between adjacent panels such that the washers fasten both panel edges. "
2. "The maximum allowable on-center spacing for fasteners: Vertical: 12" (30 cm) Horizontal: 16" (40 cm) "
3. "Joints, corners, and fastener penetrations must be sealed with KERDI-BAND using unmodified thin-set mortar1. The KERDIBAND must overlap panel joints and fastener penetrations by at least 2" (5 cm). "

Based on these instructions, I would simply use kerdi-band in the corner. However, now that I've actually TRIED installing it (rather than reading about it or watching it on youtube), i'm not sure i'm doing it right and I've never seen a washer screwed into one panel while extending past the edge like in my pictures.

Perhaps, if the washer can be used between two sheets as they suggest, maybe it can also extend past one sheet?

Rickyman, i think that's the best way to do it. thanks.
another quick question - for the purposes of sound proofing the shower from the room next to it, do you put insulation in the stud cavity that has the plumbing for the shower (ie the valve, showerhead)?
I've done that already (with mineral wool batts) but I just want to confirm. it wasn't easy to get it to fit around the pipes and stringers.
thanks.

Thanks Havasu. I'm using mineral wool insulation so hopefully even if there is some condensation around the pipes it won't be a big deal.
Jim, the reason there is no kerdi board on the adjacent walls is b/c it has not been installed yet. The wall i'm asking about is the first wall i'm putting kerdi board on.

Latest posts

Back