Kennmore 5 heater major leakage! Emergency help needed!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwilso08

Reaction score
Hello,

Tonight while going to check on a blown fuse, my sister discovered a shower-like flood gushing from the top of our water heater in the basement.

We figured out how to turn the knob on the top of the machine to turn the water off and managed to turn off the gas as well - there was an off switch, and it seemed simple enough and we don't smell any gas. We're not sure if we did the right thing with the water though.

It's late and we don't have anyone we can call. Could we have created some sort of pressure problem by turning off the water like that? Is it safe? We weren't running water anywhere and have no idea why our heater was flooding so much. In the past we have noticed small leaks at the bottom of it but thought that was pretty normal. It's old - the warranty expired in 1996. We can get it replaced is needed, but are worried about our safety.

We just need it to keep until tomorrow, but I won't be able to sleep unless I think we're safe.

Any help or advice?

OK, take a deep breath. Just to confirm, the valve on the cold water inlet to the water heater has been shut off, and the gas supply has also been turned off? If so, you will be good for the evening. Just make sure the cold water supply to your house is still working so you can flush the toilets.

To add, my only concern is if you have natural gas going to your water heater, it is usually not controlled by a switch. It is usually a thumb twist valve adjacent to the flexible gas line leading to your water heater. Confirm that this valve is in the off position. Not to worry because water heaters also have a safety control which will not allow gas unless heat is active, but I would sleep better knowing that your gas is shut off at the water heater.

If you are uncertain regarding the valves being shut off, you can call any local plumber that will come over 24 hours a day. Yes, it may cost a few bucks, but how much is your safety worth.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your advice, havasu! I had someone come over and look at the heater rather than just wait until I did the research on replacing it.

Back