Jet pump won't prime

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jc125

Reaction score
After the power went out our jet pump lost prime. A plumber came out and estimated $6000 for a whole new system. We don't have the money for that now.
So I manually added water to prime the jet pump and I knew it would take a lot of water, as I had seen my dad do it before.
After adding water continuously through a funnel for and hour and a half straight it would not fill. The next day I added a few gallons and like magic it stopped taking water. Put the cap on and had water working!
A week later hurricane Ida takes our power out again, now I have to do it all again.
This time I added water for 2 hours continuously and it never stopped taking the water. I tried again the next day and same thing. It just wont stop taking the water.

How did It fill the one day but a week later it will not? Not a single change was made. Only difference was on the day that I got it to work it was really hot outside in the afternoon 90s. Now it has been cool 70s.

I was thinking maybe a leak from the well pipes but I see no water from the pipes to where they go underground.
And if there was a leak how did It fill with water just a few days ago?

Use a garden hose connected to a neighbors hose faucet if possible to fill it up…..

50 gal drum and a pump on a trailer ?

just trying to get you some water today..

Most likely the foot valve down the well is failing. Failing foot valve will close sometimes but not others. Pull up the pipe and replace the foot valve. Less than $100 repair.

Back