Jet pump is cycling on and off after filling bladder tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acantha

Reaction score
As a DIY'er (and marginal at that) , I'm at my wits end. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Summary:

Jet pump is cycling on and off after filling bladder tank.

Bladder tank is Well X Trol wx255

When drained the wx255 is holding 40 psi and holds 21 gallons measured by me. No leaks according to the water meter to the house (which has a trickle meter).

A new pressure switch was just installed at factory specs (30-50)

Put a new check value in between the jet pump and bladder tank

Double (triple) checked for prime in pump – no air

Well water goes into a a 1000 gallon holding tank and this tank is connected to the jet pump (just inches away from the holding tank).

The pump is only a year old and works great. It’s a Grainger 1D881, plenty of muscle for pushing the water 10 feet at ground level to the bladder tank.

Could the bladder tank be bad even though it has the pressure and capacity noted in the summary? It’s about 15 years old.

What else would cause this. It just started "out of the blue".

Thanks. Yeah, the old switch was set at 40/60.

For some strange reason it is holding pressure w/o the cycling. Wonder if there was air somewhere in the line?

It sounds to me like you have the check valve on the wrong side of the pump, I would think the check valve should be between the pump and the large holding tank, on the suction side of the pump.

I had the same issue at the farm after changing my pressure switch. Had to lower the pressure in the bladder to correct the issue.

Back