"Japanese" bathrooms

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterOfNone

Reaction score
Recently I've learned about Japanese-style bathrooms. "Japanese-style" seems to basically mean two things:

1. A bunch of fancy electronic add-ons to every fixture, so you can set the temperature of your shower digitally, control your sink faucet with a voice command, and your toilet seat will play you an MP3 while you do your business. (Or something like that.)

2. A design such that the whole room is essentially the shower stall: there's a shower head somewhere up on the wall and a drain in the floor, but no internal dividers in the room.

Anyone who knows me even a little by now knows I have absolutely no interest in #1.

But is there any functional advantage to #2? I can't think of one, but figured I'd ask for your thoughts.

I would think space would be the biggest advantage. They are short on it in the city's over there.

Sounds like camper bathrooms to me? Remember to set the toilet paper in the hall before you take a shower.

If a drain in the floor, seems it would be easier to clean the room and spray it down. Also if ill or miss the toilet, it would go down the drain and be easier to clean. This is the way that modern hospital baths have the shower. Also, easier to get in and out of with a walker or wheel chair.

Back