Island Sink Drain Plumbing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AAV vents are very handy. I'm incorporating every type of, Air admittance valve. Very handy. Especially for washers and kitchens. I know y'all know this, but just saying it one more time. As long as they are accessible and above flood level.

The bottom line is, it should be done using a method that meets the local plumbing code.
Before I retired from the plumbing field, AAV's(Air Admittance Valves) were not approved every where and had limited approvals.
What is the governing plumbing code for this application?

In my area, with distance to real venting. It would be accepted. As long as it is accessible to change and as long as it is so many inches above flood level.

If you can use an AAV and are not happy with the current loop vent, perhaps you could have them replace it with a normal drain setup with an AAV. Oatey brand has something called a "SureVent" that seems to have good reviews.

island sinks in the middle of a room ive done lots need to use a studor vent. The "loop" vent is something I did for 20 yrs because the inspectors approved it. The vent voleti posted is right on out of the codebook but takes hours to do. The studor vent is a 5 minute fix and is mostly universally used. It is not an AAV
The Studor Vent IS an AAV.
Studor says it themselves :
STUDOR, INC is the distributor of the STUDOR® brand of Air Admittance Valves (AAVs) for the plumbing industry in the USA, Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico. The Studor AAV can be used in lieu of expensive and complex plumbing (open pipe) vent systems that penetrate roofs of buildings.

STUDOR® | IPS Corporation
www.ipscorp.com/plumbing/studor

Broadly speaking AAVs are not UPC approved.

Thanks for all of the input folks. I've alerted the builders that there is a possible problem and will be meeting with them and their plumber soon. I'll keep you posted.

Hope it goes well for you, Bob!

Latest posts

Back