Is this septic tank crumpling?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A typical condensing boiler will produce roughly 1 gallon per hour of acidic (pH 4-5) condensate, if it is condensing and when running all of the time. If a boiler is running for 12 hours a day that is about 12 gallons of condensate going into a 1,000 gallon tank during the winter. That also assumes that a pH neutralizer was not installed (which I see too often around here). I have seen condensing boilers and water heaters draining untreated condensate onto the concrete floor of a basement, next to a floor drain. A few years later the iron bell trap is getting quite corroded but I have yet to see much damage to the concrete slab. Even the old steel tanks would take 40-50 years to rust out, and you are seeing this in only 6 years. In my opinion, the concrete in the tank is defective.
Thank you for your reply.

You can talk all you want about the pH of what goes into the tank or not, but a simple pH test of yours versus others will make that determination.

Trust me, I've seen a LOT of hugely bad concrete in my time; on roads, on sidewalks, in foundations, on patio slabs, on any kind of casting you can think of. Bridges have fallen down because of bad concrete. Why does anyone think that someone making cast concrete septic tanks would be immune to such things? The funny thing is, in exterior concrete work you know quickly how bad the concrete is, but rarely is any concrete supplier or finisher held responsible. but I digress.

In my last home, we were on a clean crawl space foundation, cement floor, 1,000 gallon septic tank, condensing furnace and a/c unit in the crawl space. Soil condition in the area was mostly sandy, excellent drainage. The condensate did NOT go into the septic; what they did at the time of build (1996) was bury a five gallon bucket at the foundation edge, where the DWV line exited the house into the septic. This was INSIDE the crawl space, and cemented in place when they added the concrete floor to the crawl space. They added some cracks/holes to the bottom of the bucket, and the condensate drained into there and eventually into the sandy soil below. While it was generally wet inside the bucket, it never "held" water.

I don't know if this was done by code, for code, or to avoid a condensate pump which would require pumping UP about 24" or so. This setup drained all by gravity.

Reactions: AMC
Back