Is this legal?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
see what i am talking about? section of vent below floor.

to picky?

Found this. I think this is what they meant by wet venting fixture on same floor only. These fixtures are considered to be on the same floor.

Scan-150120-0001.jpg

Wet venting not allowed here but let's say I'm in a IPC area and wet venting is allowed

What if I had one vent for all 3 fixtures.
The W.C. requires 2" vent min. If I stack the tub and sink on the W.C. vent, Do I have to increase the vent to 3"all the way up to the sink? or just to the tub trap arm? I'm thinking all the way to sink.

ventzzz.jpg

Wet venting not allowed here but let's say I'm in a IPC area and wet venting is allowed

What if I had one vent for all 3 fixtures.
The W.C. requires 2" vent min. If I stack the tub and sink on the W.C. vent, Do I have to increase the vent to 3"all the way up to the sink? or just to the tub trap arm? I'm thinking all the way to sink.

use a 3x2 bushing in the top of the so tee, , then,,minimum 2'' vent out the roof
you can do that, but not with a low heal as shown, you can use a side outlet tee. 905.6 2 fixtures may be served by a common vertical pipe when each such fixture wastes separately into approved double fitting having inlet openings at the same level.

th0XHKHXWP.jpg

Just looked that up. You could run 2" from the water closet connection to the tub connection, then 1 1/2" to the lav arm. Minimum pipe size for toilet is 3", so need 1 1/2" vent.
909.2.2 and 909.3

I have seen pictures of side outlet fitting but never one in use. Not even sur eif they are available here in local supply house. next time I go in .If I remember I'll ask about them

I think you are mistaken with your last post. You said you could use a 2" between the tub and the WC and 1 1/2 above that. Since the sink drain requires a 1 1/2 drain, and since if you use it as a wet vent you have to upsize it, then you need a 2 inch vent all the way up.

this makes even more sense if you think that a WC is required to have a 2" vent anyway.

I think. With all the respect due all here. I am not expert.

No, the sink could have an 1 1/4" drain, but that is besides the point. IPC allows one drainage fixture unit to drain through an 1 1/2" wet vent, which is what a standard lavatory is rated at. Since the tub will add another 2 DFU to the vent, it would need to be 2". IPC only requires that any drainage pipe be vented by a vent pipe that is at least 1/2 the diameter of the drain pipe. Minimum pipe size for a toilet drain is 3", so an 1 1/2" vent meets that requirement as well.

If you search Florida Plumbing Code, a link should come up, I believe it is ecodes.biz, or something like that. Download Chapter 9, Vents, and you can look up the sections I mentioned.

That is why we always like to know where a poster is from, as codes tend to vary from one area to another.

please read the chart,
look at the vent piping for 1 1/2 pipe. 8 fixture units allowed then look at exception [3]
excludes 6 units traps and W/C so it has to be upsized to 2''

all water closets, in the upc, are vented minimum 2''

scan0007.jpg

Last edited:
WC REQUIRES 2" vent, the lav is not relevant. The lave could drain on a 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 so upsizing from the 1 1/4 could be to a 1 1/2, but the WC requires a 2 in anyway. Therefore the question .. or atleast the most recent question in the thread is "do I need a 3" to the lav and then reduce it.

Answer 3" is not required
lav requires 1 1/4 but because it is wet must be upsize to a 1 1/2 BUT
since the WC requires a 2" it must to a 2" AND
above the lav under any circumstances it can not be reduced from what is below that level.

Yes?

WC REQUIRES 2" vent, the lav is not relevant. The lave could drain on a 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 so upsizing from the 1 1/4 could be to a 1 1/2, but the WC requires a 2 in anyway. Therefore the question .. or atleast the most recent question in the thread is "do I need a 3" to the lav and then reduce it.

Answer 3" is not required
lav requires 1 1/4 but because it is wet must be upsize to a 1 1/2 BUT
since the WC requires a 2" it must to a 2" AND
above the lav under any circumstances it can not be reduced from what is below that level.

Yes?
Just to make sure that you are understanding where I am coming from.

I am basing my answers off of Florida Building Code, Plumbing. That code is based on the International Plumbing Code. If you are looking for UPC or SPC compliant answers, I am the wrong plumber to talk to.

With the code I work under, a toilet does not require a 2" vent.

And, once again according to IPC, once the trap arm of the fixture that is the wet vent attaches to the vertical pipe, the pipe above that point is a dry vent, and only need to comply with sizing requirements for a vent pipe, not for a wet vent.

Under IPC, the only instance (that I am aware of) that requires the vent pipe to be the same size as the drainage pipe is for the dry section of a waste stack vent system. Which cannot receive the drainage of water closets, so does not apply to the situation at hand.

Can anyone explain how to read flow vs pressure drop chart interference to sizing water distribution piping

Just to make sure that you are understanding where I am coming from.

I am basing my answers off of Florida Building Code, Plumbing. That code is based on the International Plumbing Code. If you are looking for UPC or SPC compliant answers, I am the wrong plumber to talk to.

With the code I work under, a toilet does not require a 2" vent.

And, once again according to IPC, once the trap arm of the fixture that is the wet vent attaches to the vertical pipe, the pipe above that point is a dry vent, and only need to comply with sizing requirements for a vent pipe, not for a wet vent.

Under IPC, the only instance (that I am aware of) that requires the vent pipe to be the same size as the drainage pipe is for the dry section of a waste stack vent system. Which cannot receive the drainage of water closets, so does not apply to the situation at hand.

YEP!!! upc and Ipc are worlds apart.

upc here,,,,1 1/2 minimum vent.

2'' minimum on a water closet

if you wet vent,,the vent has to be 1 size larger

Latest posts

Back