Is this legal?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clarkjw

Reaction score
I did a bunch of my own plumbing work. I want to know if it will meet code. I added a toilet and shower on second floor through to basement.
I want to use an air admittance valve to vent shower/toilet IN bathroom. Please help

F848D749-D43F-47C7-B6F9-6A3E02439635.jpeg
Stack from second floor to sewer
5EC6C0B8-FEBE-43F5-A438-588B0F5D3122.jpeg
sewer connection to stack

Last edited:
If that is all heading to the street behind the foundation wall, then:
1. Unshielded couplings are not normally approved. Only shielded couplings are approved and they make specialty adapter ones if that is cast iron to plastic.
2. Plastic pipe must be rigidly supported every four feet with approved hangers.

Last edited:
Funny looking San tee.......shallow hubs.

Where in the world are you located ?

Edit: original poster deleted pic.

Last edited:
To me, the orientation and size of the photos makes it impossible to figure out what is going on.
But nothing what you did looks like safe or code approved plumbing.
Enlarge and annotate and provide drawings please.
Upload changed picture orientation. It’s fixed now. Thanks

Negative, or it’s back pitched and the wye would be backwards. I wouldn’t think that’s the case.

He connected on the wrong side of his backwater valve but since it’s an upstairs bath connected to it, I doubt it makes a difference other than a code violation.

Im enjoying the conversation, I wish the OP hadn’t removed a pic.....

Negative, or it’s back pitched and the wye would be backwards

Reason I asked...

Also not sure why the street side connection shown (no hub adapter) would be PVC and the rest of the house is cast!?

Also, also (not a pro, but) is that the correct type of no hub adapter? (guess that makes a difference by location?)

Most things posted on this forum doesn’t meet code at least some place. That’s the way it is in the field too.

35 yr pro master plumber here.

Most things posted on this forum doesn’t meet code at least some place. That’s the way it is in the field too.

I agree on new construction that it needs to match the prints, but on customer/custom rehab work, it's a fine line between working correctly and "to code"...

Maybe they had the old cast sewer lateral out to the street replaced with pvc?

Also, for grins, I would add an extra set of clamps on that rubber coupling, just for insurance.
While the hole is open.

Maybe you could replace with a shielded coupling, but I don’t see how.
Unless there is a decent gap between the two pipes.

Last edited:
If the pipe is properly supported that cheap fernco will work fine.,
They use to be all that was offered.

The reason they became illegal is people would bury them snd the pipe would deflect, causing a clog.
One end would be way lower or the boot would pull off all together.

That is why I like to add two extra clamps when I encounter those.
It reinforces the saggy middle, and two clamps on each end is cheap insurance against failure.
It’s important not to clamp over a gap between the pipes.
I don’t do any work under concrete like this, but I see them all the time in basements, crawlspaces, yard drains, under sinks.

That is why I like to add two extra clamps when I encounter those.
It reinforces the saggy middle, and two clamps on each end is cheap insurance against failure.
It’s important not to clamp over a gap between the pipes.
I don’t do any work under concrete like this, but I see them all the time in basements, crawlspaces, yard drains, under sinks.
Here’s how I like it.....
CA0DA1BF-864B-4917-91FC-A3D3EA3E083B.jpeg
83D2CFEA-E5EC-40C7-8965-6B18EBB3675C.jpeg

Good idea, kind of a hybrid improvement!

I will be stealing that idea, but also taking all the glory, haha!

Good idea, kind of a hybrid improvement!

I will be stealing that idea, but also taking all the glory, haha!
That’s the way they’re made. They’re called shielded couplings.

The stainless band is called a shear ring.

I get it now.
I am used to seeing the four clamp type with a full length shield.
I see them underground.
I thought you had just wrapped around the shield from a shorter coupling.
Which seems like what that arrangement adds up to?

Negative, or it’s back pitched and the wye would be backwards. I wouldn’t think that’s the case.

He connected on the wrong side of his backwater valve but since it’s an upstairs bath connected to it, I doubt it makes a difference other than a code violation.

Im enjoying the conversation, I wish the OP hadn’t removed a pic.....
What’s a backwater valve? Orientation and is towards wall, not the way arrow shows. Only other picture was the upstairs toilet and shower:
73527E31-3BF7-42BA-B259-F3DFBB6119EC.jpeg

Backwater valve prevents sewer from backing up into your basement from the city if their line clogs.

Did you cut the hubs off those pvc fittings ? 😬 Yes you did. 🤭. I see now. ✌️

Backwater valve prevents sewer from backing up into your basement from the city if their line clogs.

Did you cut the hubs off those pvc fittings ? 😬 Yes you did. 🤭. I see now. ✌
Is that illegal?
Also, a plumber put that valve in. I thought it was ok

Back