is this legal?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Umatt322

Reaction score
would this be legal? Or do I have to tie in all my fixtures at the same elevation as my wc15926789178882539142102643737456.jpg

If your jurisdiction allows "horizontal wet venting" and you use the proper fittings (long sweep 90s, combos, and if on the first floor, accessable clean outs for every change of direction of 135 degrees and every run of greater than 5' requires a cleanout) then yes. And you do not need that 3" vent unless that is the only bathroom group in the house.
I see from your note off the page that you are thinking of an offset closet flange. There are no code approved flanges for a reason (from what I recall). For the most part they will cause trouble. Sioux Chief makes a flange w/ S.S. ring that is just a 45 deg. elbow built in to the flange. That is fine to use but requires hacking a joist likely to the point that you need to double up the joist b/c of the notch induced weakness.

If your jurisdiction allows "horizontal wet venting" and you use the proper fittings (long sweep 90s, combos, and if on the first floor, accessable clean outs for every change of direction of 135 degrees and every run of greater than 5' requires a cleanout) then yes. And you do not need that 3" vent unless that is the only bathroom group in the house.
I see from your note off the page that you are thinking of an offset closet flange. There are no code approved flanges for a reason (from what I recall). For the most part they will cause trouble. Sioux Chief makes a flange w/ S.S. ring that is just a 45 deg. elbow built in to the flange. That is fine to use but requires hacking a joist likely to the point that you need to double up the joist b/c of the notch induced weakness.
I do need that 3" vent because
So I can tie in my WC to a lower elevation then my LAV and SHWR on my soil stack . The 3" vent is the only vent leaving the house so it is necessary . I do agree with you offset flanges are scabby and are just asking for trouble I figured out how to make it work without it .

G search images of "horizontal wet venting" (HWV). You will get the drift.
The dead plumbers never had this kind of layout.
For the bulk of my career spanning 46 yrs., it was not in the code. We had to vent every fixture individually except for cases of vertical wet venting, like a lav into the WC vent.

G search images of "horizontal wet venting" (HWV). You will get the drift.
The dead plumbers never had this kind of layout.
For the bulk of my career spanning 46 yrs., it was not in the code. We had to vent every fixture individually except for cases of vertical wet venting, like a lav into the WC vent.

Here is another drawing I switched the location of the shwr and lav but it is still the same idea. You were talking about horizontal wet vent but mt WC is actually vertically wet vented is this ok?20200621_094103.jpg

Congratulations at trying isometric drawing. The original drawing was not portraying much that I could understand. Unfortunately, if you are actually talking about a "stack", then yes it is vertically wet venting and NO, your plan does not comply with UPC (the code I know front to back).

Maybe show a floor plan and overlay existing piping in a different color.

Ok , can I tie the 2" Lav/Shwr into the horizontal run of my WC ? Now the WC is wet vented by the Lav.
Or do you have to enter the stack with all fixtures at the same level or individually.
This is a top floor.
Thanks for you Knowledge

"can I tie the 2" Lav/Shwr into the horizontal run of my WC ? "
From the Plumbing Code Check field guide by Redwood Kardon, Michael Casey
Showing IRC illustration. But, UPC added HWV and I don't have the newer edition of the guide.
1592783523069.png

I want to rough my bathroom like the top floor of this drawing. My only Screenshot_20200621-141819_Drive.jpgquestion is does the 3"WC tie into the stack under the Lav/Shwr or vice versa. Or do they need to tie in at the exact same level?

There is a special fitting for that specific junction. Called a "Figure 8" and it comes in double (for two toilets) and left or right. See: https://www.charlottepipe.com/Documents/DimensionalCatalogs/BR-CI-MS.pdf page 16

This is not for amateurs. And, all the fittings below that floor must conform to the exact particulars of vents for each fixture not being a part of that stack. The stack is the drain ONLY, the vents are parallel and separate!
Not likely what a residential home would have.

There is a special fitting for that specific junction. Called a "Figure 8" and it comes in double (for two toilets) and left or right. See: https://www.charlottepipe.com/Documents/DimensionalCatalogs/BR-CI-MS.pdf page 16

This is not for amateurs. And, all the fittings below that floor must conform to the exact particulars of vents for each fixture not being a part of that stack. The stack is the drain ONLY, the vents are parallel and separate!
Not likely what a residential home would have.

The more I look at that drawing it looks like a hotel rough In . I'm very familiar with nohub cast iron as i do alot of commercial plumbing. I'm a pipefitter by trade and do mostly industrial powerhouse and refinary work . I'll just vent each fixture separately to be safe . 15927901714364322435284222195892.jpg

And you understand that all lower floor fixtures now have to be vented on their own.

Congratulations at trying isometric drawing. The original drawing was not portraying much that I could understand. Unfortunately, if you are actually talking about a "stack", then yes it is vertically wet venting and NO, your plan does not comply with UPC (the code I know front to back).
What doesn't meet code with this the LAV is horizontally wet venting the SHWR and the WC is vertically wet vented
How does this not meet code? The shwr is horizontally wet vented by the lav and the wc is wet vented vertically.

What doesn't meet code with this the LAV is horizontally wet venting the SHWR and the WC is vertically wet vented
How does this not meet code? The shwr is horizontally wet vented by the lav and the wc is wet vented vertically.
20200621_094103.jpg

1. UPC: Vertical wet venting is limited to (1) one and two (2) fixture unit fixtures.
You are currently showing a vertical venting of three (3) fixture units into the WC drain.
;)

Latest posts

Back