Is there a "fix" for this? (cast iron hub crack)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucker

Reaction score
Just gotta ask. I'm figuring "no." :confused:
I was feeling so lucky this fitting already existed for installing a basement toilet. In removing the cleanout access from the hub, the hub broke.
Just cut it all out and install 4" ABS wye with rubber boots?
Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_7281.JPG
    IMG_7281.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7283.JPG
    IMG_7283.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7285.JPG
    IMG_7285.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7288.JPG
    IMG_7288.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
Your pictures seem very confusing to me, and blurry and vague.
Maybe it’s just me?
Start over, tell your story more clearly, with less random pictures.
We are just trying to help, not pick on you.

For clarity, this picture is taken straight down on the broken hub. (missing chunk).... I can't just shove a 4" pipe in there and cement the he** out of it, huh?... ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_7288.JPG
    IMG_7288.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
after the concrete is poured around the pipe the stack is THEN supported by some kind of physics thing that involves big words and lots of numbers. If at that time you are still warry then install a $6.00 riser clamp

are you planning to install a terlet with no vent? what about a sink next to the terlet to wash your hands after you take a dump?

after the concrete is poured around the pipe the stack is THEN supported by some kind of physics thing that involves big words and lots of numbers. If at that time you are still warry then install a $6.00 riser clamp

are you planning to install a terlet with no vent? what about a sink next to the terlet to wash your hands after you take a dump?

Okay.. - so - a couple more questions. Understanding the "whys" helps me figure out the hows... So why should I cut out stack and not just the wye? If you tell me "it'll be easier in the long-run" I'll believe you but, I just like to "get it" a little bit. -- And yes, "sink and shower planned" - I anticipated separate venting for those - but my understanding "was" that a toilet with 4" waste pipe can be within 10 feet of stack and not require a vent? Is that wrong or should I just vent the toilet again at the fixture anyway and add it to the rest? --- I DO appreciate the advice. TY.

Know the whole picture makes things easier
It would be a heck of a lot easier to cut out the cast and rough in for the whole bathroom
in pvc than it would be cutting in here and there.

If you could sketch in where the toilet, lav, shower are going to go. we cabn get an REAL handle on it

Is this your plan? Fixtures have minimum clearances. you need to know where they go in order to plumb them correctly
yttrw.JPG

- Again, I appreciate your patience.... Obviously, I struggle with jpegs and "paint" too ;-) but on the attached drawing: The red/green on the right is stack and wye - move about 7 feet left to toilet another 4 or 5 feet to sink and then diagonal a few feet to shower. The yellow area is an existing bathroom and "south" of that is the laundry area. The upstairs bathroom is directly above the stack. (What is trying to happen here is the construction of an efficiency apartment). So anyway, there is existing vent plumbing directly above the "7 foot" coming out of laundry area (2") that I planned to tap into for all this... That all make sense?

Attachments

• NEWfloor2.jpg
    NEWfloor2.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 10
Okay.. - so - a couple more questions. Understanding the "whys" helps me figure out the hows... So why should I cut out stack and not just the wye? If you tell me "it'll be easier in the long-run" I'll believe you but, I just like to "get it" a little bit. -- And yes, "sink and shower planned" - I anticipated separate venting for those - but my understanding "was" that a toilet with 4" waste pipe can be within 10 feet of VENT
stack and not require a vent? Is that wrong or should I just vent the toilet again at the fixture anyway and add it to the rest? --- I DO appreciate the advice. TY.
The stack in your basement is clearly a WASTE STACK not a VENT STACK
Your thumb nail is too small to see, resize to a 800 pixl

- See now? I'm "learning." This is Great! ;-) You likely don't care but 40 years ago, the first time I ever watched a licensed plumber work on a house and try to learn something - we were putting a toilet in an attic apartment above an existing toilet. I remember him telling me that you can't "dump in a vent" and then (near as I can tell) that's how he did it anyway. Follow that up with the basement toilet in our last house - also plumbed into existing stack with no extra vent. It leaves us dummies confused! (I imagine one of the more common DIY atrocities that you guys run into?)... Okay so... New toilet is planned about t feet from existing drain line. It'll need it's own vent. I'm still hoping I can do that, tie it in with vents for sink and shower and run it to what is clearly a two inch vent pipe running out of the laundry room and then along side the stack to a point above the upstairs toilet and tying back in. - Is that all good?? On the attached again... Red and green on the right is stack and existing (broken) wye. I want to run a 4" drain from the wye to the new toilet (circled in red) - (about 7 feet). Behind the toilet I'd add a vent and a tee so as to tie in drain from sink/shower. (circled in blue). Yellow area is existing bathroom (my guess is DWV plumbed "wrong"). -- Will it work? and again - still cut into stack? or just remove/replace wye? And also, again, thank you for being patient, it's a rare find on these forums.

Attachments

• NEWfloor3.jpg
    NEWfloor3.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back