Is pressure assisted better or what?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamhas

Reaction score
When we were in CA, a plumber friend installed a couple of Toto ADA height toilets to replace one's that had gone bad. He recommended those because they could "flush a log" in his experience ... and in our experience it was very, very rare to have one clog. Now, in Illinois we have a bathroom with a wall mount American Standard, probably 50 years old since that is when the house was built. These days, it seems to clog fairly frequently. I will admit that it may be being challenged a bit, but that is the reality we are dealing with. We are contemplating some other work in this bathroom so I went looking for an alternative, preferably one like those we had in CA, but it seems like there aren't very many wall mount toilets these days ... don't know if there were ever a lot. One of the few I could find was an American Standard 1.6GPF Pressure Assisted. So, while the low flush volume sounds ecological, I am wondering if the pressure assist actually means it will move those logs or if it is just going to mean more of a mess. Or, is there something else I am just not finding. Or, is the solution to bite the bullet and do the replumbing to put in a floor mount since I would prefer the ADA height and I don't think I am going to find that in a wall mount at all?

air assist toilets can be expensive to fix....if your toilet is 50 years old.....when was the last time the internal parts were replaced?????remember that is probably using 3.5 per flush much better for you plumbing system there are still companies out there making that style

The current toilet is *not* pressure assist. Nor is it showing any signs of misfunctioning other than its not being very good at flushing "logs". The question I have is whether the low volume, pressure assist is likely to be an improvement ... or, do I just need to bite the bullet, replumb for floor mount, and put in a Toto?

The current toilet is *not* pressure assist. Nor is it showing any signs of misfunctioning other than its not being very good at flushing "logs". The question I have is whether the low volume, pressure assist is likely to be an improvement ... or, do I just need to bite the bullet, replumb for floor mount, and put in a Toto?
yeh I know the current toilet is not air assist...when was the last time internal parts were changed....did it never flush solids well.....if you do decide to change it check out wall mount back outlet tank type toilets your rough for that is already there

yeh I know the current toilet is not air assist...when was the last time internal parts were changed....did it never flush solids well.....if you do decide to change it check out wall mount back outlet tank type toilets your rough for that is already there
check out the cost of repair parts for air assist toilets...and check reviews

I have no knowledge of when internal parts were changed. This is my parents house, now deceased, and I only moved back here a few years ago to take care of my mother. But, I will say that it seemed to work fine until a couple years ago when the size of the "logs" increased ... for which I have no explanation, but I can see the difference. A while back I did find this toilet https://www.homedepot.com/p/America...hite-Seat-Not-Included-2093-100-020/202499481 which has now gone out of stock at Home Depot. For the price, I would happily switch if I had any reason to think that it would work better, but my impression of the Toto from CA was that the "throat" was less constricted or better shaped and, if the new toilet is the same as the old in design, then I question that it will work any better ... maybe worse with less water.

toto is a great toilet if you know the outlet size of the toto if you research the wall outlet check their outlet size.....I install a few CRANE toilets a while back they seemed to work well

I was not able to find a wall mount Toto ... in fact, hardly anything except that American Standard.

Latest posts

Back