Is my toilet disintegrating?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I have a Kohler low flush toilet which I purchased 4-5 years ago. I paid big bucks for it, and it has always worked perfectly. Two days ago, I was cleaning the toilet and saw some debris floating up into my bowl from the lower sewer connection. I pulled out these pieces, which are quite brittle and have the feel of either calcium or real thin plastic.

Has anyone seen this before? Is the lining of this toilet breaking apart from the porcelain? Does anyone know if Kohler has a lifetime warranty? It seems to work well even after removing these pieces, but sticking my hand deep into the hole it feels like I can feel rough porcelain where I use to have smooth walls, leading me to believe the lining has separated and I will be in trouble soon.

toilet #2.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I called Kohler to find out if the separation of the china occurs. After being placed on hold for 45 minutes, and submitting them photos of the debris, including a solid while porcelain colored sides, they said separation does occur, but not too often. They washed their hands of the problem saying, "Well, we don't know what it is, nor do we want to investigate further, so unfortunately it may be time to replace your toilet."

So much for good customer service on a $350 toilet. I believe I am done with this specific brand from now on.

Here is my e-mail reply to Kohler Customer Service:

"After being transferred to another tech support person, she said she has no idea what this was, and didn't believe it was the separation of the china, and assumed it was calcium. I explained the side view was solid white, which was not the normal color of calcium. Regardless, her hands were washed saying there was nothing else your company could do for me, and recommended replacing the toilet if I felt it needed replacing. I just wanted to express my disheartened feeling towards the Customer Service at Kohler."

I received a rapid response from Kohler Customer Care Center:

Dear **** *******:
As a leader in the plumbing industry, Kohler Co. strives to delight our customers with superior products and impeccable
service. We were very concerned to discover this was not your experience.
As an exception to our warranty, we authorize the replacement of your one K-3591-0 PORTRAIT® TOILET-EB; however,
our warranty does not cover reimbursement for labor charges.
Please contact your place of purchase and have them order one replacement K-4317-0 Portrait® elongated toilet bowl, less
seat. Please specify the color of your product when ordering the replacement. You do not need to return your product to
your place of purchase. Please give them a copy of this letter to ensure that the appropriate credit is issued to all parties
involved. Be advised this letter has a three-month expiration date from the time it was issued.
Thank you for choosing THE BOLD LOOK OF KOHLER®, the leader in plumbing product design and innovation for your
home. Kohler Co. looks forward to improving your level of gracious living by exceeding your needs in kitchen and bath
design. Please call our Customer Care Center at 1-800-4KOHLER (1-800-456-4537) Monday through Friday 8am-5pm
CST if we can assist you.
Sincerely,
Kohler Customer Care Center Representative

I now know why I have always advocated using good name brand products and companies which stand behind their products! :)

I am glad they stood behind their product and are making it right for you.

I plan on cracking it open once I receive the new base. What I would really like to do is to cut it in half like the toilet seen on here which had been sliced in half.

It would make for a good target out in the desert, huh?

(Actually, I despise people who blast everything out in the desert and just leave it there. I would have to pick up all the pieces, which means I would either get cut or have gross smelling hands for the drive in!)

Sorry you're so far away. I'd like to come by and take a few shots with my Colt .45 1911 model automatic :). Glad to hear they stood behind their product. You just demonstrated that it's not a good policy to judge a company by one employee maybe having a bad day or maybe not yet found out by management.

My wife was in a Starbucks recently and saw a patron suffering insulin shock (we have a diabetic daughter and know the symptoms). While everyone else was trying get away--not knowing what was going on--she grabbed a can of orange juice, opened it, and gave it to the man. In a couple minutes he was OK, and probably in embarrassment, he left the store. Now the good part. The store clerk charged my wife for the orange juice!

So, did I judge Starbucks by this one clown? You bet I did! I contacted Starbucks and told the story. Nothing. Company policy. You take it. You buy it. I never liked Starbucks coffee anyway, but if they had responded with a public relations effort, as Kohler did, I might start liking Starbucks. Instead, I'll avoid Starbucks at any cost!

Never been there. I won a gift card for Starbuck's at last year's Christmas party, but I gave it to someone.

Kangaroo is a chain of convenience stores around here. Their Irish Creme cappuciono mixed with their Peruvian coffee gets me running in the morning.

So Mark hav eyou pulled that toilet yet? I have a chop saw with a 14" diamond blade we can cut it in half with.

No, the new one is sitting in the garage. I really don't want to open a can of worms in the bathroom if I am just going to have to hand the keys over to this house in the divorce, which is looking more and more certain as days go on.

We are on our way. Start painting a line across the floor, ceiling, and roof so that we can get right to work. Do you have some posts in case we run across some load bearing beams?

If you guys could wait just a few days, I will place the bed directly in the center of where the cut will take place, and then ask the soon to be "ex" to take a well deserved nap as you arrive. It's called killing two birds at once!

Latest posts

Back