Is my pressure gauge kaput?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffL

Reaction score
I have a nice looking glycerin filled pressure gauge that I bought less than a year ago. I doubt if I've used it more than a dozen times (if that), and I've never done anything abusive to it. I went to use it this morning, and the needle won't budge at all. It just sits at zero. I don't have a receipt for it, and I can't remember where I bought it. I've looked on the web pages of all the stores where it's likely that I bought it, but I don't see anything that closely resembles it. It looks a lot like the one in the image, except it has no manufacturer name on it anywhere and it has a hose bib adapter on it, but I don't remember if it came that way, or if I added it. Is there anyway I can make it work again? It was probably only in the $10 to $15 price range, but I'm kind of pissed that I got so little use from it :mad:

pb254l-160_.jpg

I think you need a new one. I'm surprised that one died, I kill the non filled ones all the time

I can think of one reason it wouldn't work. Mud Dobbers! They fill the end of any opening on anything I leave out in the barn or garage that isn't sealed up.

I remembered where I got it. Harbor Freight. I know everyone is wincing :D but I've had pretty good luck with their stuff. I didn't see the picture on their web page because the one they show isn't the one in the store (someone commented on that in a review). So it turns out that it was $10.88 before using the 20% off coupon and getting some other item for free :D It's out of warranty, and I don't have the receipt anymore, but I'll see if telling them my tale of woe helps. As much as I'll be using it, it should have lasted the rest of my life :p

I have used their gauges with good luck. Only the liquid filled like you have. I don't use any air filled.

Happy ending :) I told my sad story to the friendly and understanding Harbor Freight manager, and he just pulled another one off the wall and exchanged it with a smile. I tired it out on the last of the water hose bib pressure reducers that I needed, and it worked. I probably won't need to use it again for years.

Here it is with my hose adapter:
P1030007.jpg

Back