Is my plumber scamming me?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dontknow

Reaction score
Hi, I need some advice please. In an empty house I’m fixing up, last time I checked the toilets was a few months ago. I had found a toilet that was constantly flushing and leaking water into the bowl so I shut off the water to that one toilet. I now hired a plumber to fix it and also asked him to inspect my other toilets. So he checks them, and calls me into the bathrooms to show me water leaking between the tank and the base whenever you flush. In all three toilets in the house. He says I need to replace all the toilets. Is this a scam or a very strange coincidence? Thanks

Yeah, what @sarg said...

BUT: be advised, you can have cracks in the tanks/bases...I've run into that on NEW IN BOX toilets. Rare, but it can happen.

There are some reasonably priced new toilets out there, so if you are fixing the house to sell, balance the total cost of rebuilding all your toilets plus the labor versus replacement.

Yes, you can get a decent NEW toilet for $125.00.

Rebuilding the guts and gaskets is worthwhile, but takes some plumbing skill and practice, or at least having an experienced helper advise you.

Watch some Youtube videos on changing out the wax ring seal, and installing a new toilet.
The biggest challenge is that it is heavy and hurts your back.
This is an ok job for diy, just do some online research first.

The toilets are about 20 years old. To me the strangest thing is that all three are suddenly leaking out from the back or bottom of the tank, when I had only seen one that was flushing constantly. And, as of yesterday none were leaking outside, but I didn’t test them. I would think that for the water tank to leak out you wouldn’t need to flush, no?
None are leaking from the base.

No. No need to flush to see a leak.

If water is in the tank.

The big gasket between the tank and bowl can get dried out or crumbly, and cause a leak there.
Also the gaskets on the bolts that hold the tank onto the bowl can shrink or crumble and leak.

Also, if the tanks were empty for any prolonged period, all those gaskets could have dried out and shrunk, which is causing leaks now.

See that’s what makes me worry he is trying something shady. Because he immediately said that I need to replace all three toilets. Without dismantling and checking gaskets or bolts or anything. Unfortunately, although I was in the house, I wasn’t in the bathrooms with him when he checked them. It took him less than five minutes.
I guess I’ll ask him to check these things and see where we go from there. Thank you all.

So one would think the OP is suspicious the screws might have been loosened and the tanks given a shake. I guess one would have to stay with the "hired help" to know for sure.
Back to Rule # 7 >> Trust your mother and your dog.

I haven’t actually. I just don’t know anything about plumbing and am trying to understand. I appreciate all your help. Thanks.

Post good clear pictures of all three toilets, and also a good clear pic of the lettering you will find on the inside of the back of the tank, of each toilet.

This will help us inform you if they are worth rebuilding, or to replace them if they are old junk.

I just don’t know anything about plumbing and am trying to understand.

If you’re rehabbing houses for yourself or others or fun or profit— you really need to know about everything. From structural to carpentry (rough and finish); masonry, tile, paint, plumbing, electrical, HVAC...or this story will just get repeated. You don’t have to do it all- but you sure need to know.

This is another small life financial event, which add up over time to affect a comfortable retirement. Replacement or repair is going to involve a significant labor cost. Mastering some basic mechanical life skills is key to the average income joe comfortably retiring. You wouldn't need to post this question as you would already know the few suspected causes and be able to troubleshoot and repair. Not being condescending, just don't see lack of life skills as an envious position in todays world.

Having owned various properties, and renovating almost all of them, I have to agree that it all goes *much* better if you at least know enough to tell the plumber, the drywall guys, electrician, heater/AC guys, etc., etc. what you want done.
We all have to start somewhere, and this learning will save you time, money and endless frustration. When wife & I first renovating house, refinished floors before getting plaster guy and painter in. ROOKIE mistake, but, we were winging it.
Two books I'd recommend, 1st one still in my library:

Basic Construction Techniques for Houses and Small Buildings Simply Explained: LINK
BuildMe.jpg
This covers most everything, except plumbing & heating.
Some basic things just don't change.

AND for Plumbing - Similar to what I learned from ( I hope )
Ultimate Guide: Plumbing LINK

Plumbing.jpg

Last edited:
I make more profit rebuilding a toilet than replacing it.

I itemize my materials and my mark up on parts is pretty sporty.

I would suggest installing new toilets, repairing the gaskets is a hectic job and it needs real plumbing skills. Once you get a toilet, just watch toilet installation videos and you can easily manage it. During Covid, I have replaced our toilet with American Standard Cadet 3, It was worth buying.

I would suggest installing new toilets, repairing the gaskets is a hectic job and it needs real plumbing skills. Once you get a toilet, just watch toilet installation videos and you can easily manage it. During Covid, I have replaced our toilet with American Standard Cadet 3, It was worth buying.

Though I've rebuilt plenty of toilets, seemingly it was the SAME sets of toilets at our second home over the 20 years we owned it. In retrospect, during the last go around should have just dumped the old toilets and picked up new...

One consideration I will add: We built a house recently and installed four new toilets. In the past, we had always installed the Kohler Cadet (II?) toilets, but I wanted one with a heavy-duty flusher. A well-known brand that goes into commercial establishments, especially restaurants that always flushes well and had a shiny thick glaze was making residential models, so I bought one. The plumber hooked it up outside for me to evaluate. The flush was OK, at least better than our Kohlers have been. So I bought three more. Within a short time of living there, I realized that the glazing was too thin and the interior surface was rougher, which means that you have to work harder to clean and use a lot more chemical cleaners. I resorted to bleach, which was cause for the company to reject my complaint. The last two Kohlers in another building have been in operation for about 15 years with no problems. I don't know whether there has been any trimming in quality/value with current items; when one company out-competes by trimming quality, it puts pressure on competitors to follow suit.

Whether the root of this change was economical or driven for green benefit, this will be a short-term toilet, which leaves a greater environmental impact. [It seems that the calculations for environmental footprint miss some important contributions.] So, newer is not always better. There is also a "fire clay" material that is like a poorly glazed ceramic. A heavy glaze is worth a bit more as a long-term investment, in terms of useful lifespan and cleaning effort.

So, if you go shopping, inspect the interior well. Have some fun with it by asking for a demonstration.

I do agree on a second opinion. And I like Rule #7.

Last edited:
I like Toto Drake and A.S cadet 3. (3rd time is a charm🤓)

No complaint so far

Latest posts

Back