Is my dishwater hooked up wrong? Won't Drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Afman27

Reaction score
We had our dishwasher installed and instead of running the dishwasher hose through the side, they ran it through the bottom. The dishwasher will not run a full cycle now due to a drainage error and the company that installed is claiming it's the dishwasher, even though it's brand new. Take a look at the pics and let me know if it looks ok. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20190222_132719.jpg
    20190222_132719.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 74
  • 20190222_132706.jpg
    20190222_132706.jpg
    910.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 20190222_132920.jpg
    20190222_132920.jpg
    579.9 KB · Views: 71
Yes, the grey hose up from the bottom to the copper pipe. The last pic is looking up next to the sink where they may have the air gap, but there's nothing at sink level to help airflow.

I would call the dishwasher company and tell them the problem and code.

It can't be seen but I assume that copper pipe dumps into the top of an open top standpipe. There should be nothing wrong with that.

When did it ever run a full cycle?
Does it not drain at all?

No, it'll drain some and then error out and stop the cycle. Has never gotten through a full cycle uninterrupted. I can call LG and have them look at it, was just trying to avoid paying them to come out and them telling me it was a plumbing issue.

No, it'll drain some and then error out and stop the cycle. Has never gotten through a full cycle uninterrupted. I can call LG and have them look at it, was just trying to avoid paying them to come out and them telling me it was a plumbing issue.
I figured they may be able to shed some light on it over the phone.

So it would appear to be meeting the 20", based on what is assumed to be an open standpipe at close to 30".
But I know it's not good to ASS U ME.

Hard to tell where that is draining but if through the disposal did they punch out the plug? Can you ever hear/ see water draining?

Who installed that thing. I have never seen a dishwasher drain like that. Is it going up to a air gap on your sink. I'm all for legal pot but not for everyone.

No airgap at sink level but it looks like they did drain it up and to another pipe. No idea why they did it like that either, ugh

They used an air break into a dedicated trap, which may be a bit of an overkill for residential dish washing machines, under the IPC. What's the problem with that?

They used an air break into a dedicated trap, which may be a bit of an overkill for residential dish washing machines, under the IPC. What's the problem with that?

the stand pipe deal is a upc ''fix'' in order to not install a air gap fitting on multi million dollar homes.
the thought is, the hose has an air gap under the sink.

usually. after inspection the air gap was removed and the hose hooked up to the disposal

the stand pipe deal is a upc ''fix'' in order to not install a air gap fitting on multi million dollar homes.
the thought is, the hose has an air gap under the sink.

usually. after inspection the air gap was removed and the hose hooked up to the disposal
Not sure why it would be a "UPC fix" since UPC requires the air gap and the standpipe is an air break. That's why I mentioned the IPC since they don't require the air gap.

Back