Is it possible to temporarily remove a pedestal from a pedestal sink to install a new drain?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

provlima

Reaction score
I am having a difficult time installing a new drain on a pedestal sink.
The pedestal is too close to the wall and I cannot get access to the drain nut to make a good leak proof connection.
Have tried using a basin wrench, but there is not enough clearance in the pedestal.
Am I correct to assume the basins of modern pedestal sinks are wall mounted, and is it possible to temporarily remove the pedestal of the sink by cutting out the caulk to the bathroom floor and the sink it "supports"

Would appreciate any info from someone who has faced my problem with pedestal sinks

Thanks for your help

Usually the pedestal is locked in by a lip on the sink itself.
There are lots of tricks in dealing with pedestals, but I've never pulled out a pedestal successfully.
They make special wrenches for getting at the nut on pedestal sinks.
The wrenches come in both 1.25 and 1.5 inches..

Yes, sometimes you can scootch the pedestal a few inches towards the back wall, to clear any molded in lip on the sink.

Then wiggle it out from one side.

If the sink is poorly anchored in the wall, it can break or fall at this point.

If someone maintains upward support on the sink, as the base is wiggled out, and a well measured 2x4 is properly tapped in to take the weight, it might work.

When I install a pedestal sink, I do it so the sink can hang by itself if needed for awhile.
By installing wood blocking for the hanger bolts, or at least finding good existing wood like studs or blocking.

But you never know what the installer did, lazy or thorough.

Depending on the design, and if the pedestal portion isn't bolted into the floor, you can even lift the basin ever so slightly, and pull the pedestal out towards the front side, and just let the basin rest on it while you do your drain work.

If there's caulk on the floor, as you mentioned, though, there might not be enough wiggle room to do that unless you get that all cleaned off the sink and floor.

They're always a pain to deal with, and you have to be super careful not to crack the sink at the wall anchors, or chip it underneath as you move the pedestal around.

Latest posts

Back