Is it possible for me to replace my water main myself?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsfd12

Reaction score
My gosh, things keep piling on. I thought I was going to do a quick replacement of my refrigerators shutoff valve. Went downstairs to turn off the main and it doesnt even budge. This is a picture of the main. It appears as if I turns downwards into the wall. I could solder it, but I dont know how to purge the line of water. I could even do a sharkbite (ive read that they are up to code for mains which I didnt know) but...how should I do this? I dont really know how to deal with the turn. I should (and probably will) call a plumber but I really didnt want to spend so much money. Thanks for any advice.

Looks like you should call a plumber, but really can't see what you have with that video,yeh I just checked the video again looks like it comes out of the wall to a short peice of pipe then a st 90 then your valve we're is your meter,you could take apart the valve and drain thru that that way you don't cut pipe before you have to, you can also put it back together if you need to

Last edited:
Leave that valve alone and go turn your water meter off. Is that even possible for you ?

Leave that valve alone and go turn your water meter off. Is that even possible for you ?

It is technically possible if I buy a key for the meter outside, though I dont know if its allowed. The 90 degree bend looks like it may be an issue for me.

Turns out its gonna be a pretty pricey repair. Gotta dig from behind the wall since immediately after what you can see is in concrete, widen the concrete a bit so they can repair the leak with a pipe with a sleeve and add a ball valve. Really sucks but thats okay I guess.

Latest posts

Back