Is it OK to fill this with concrete?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Scott

Reaction score
After heavy rain I was experiencing flooding in my basement. It appeared to be coming from under the shower pan so I took a crowbar to the pan and this is what I found underneath!

What's happening is that the water level under the concrete slab in my basement is rising until the point that it reaches the top of this hole and overflows. I am taking steps outside the house to divert water away, but was wondering if I should fill this hole with concrete, or whether it should be left open for any reason (e.g. future maintenanceIMG_4024.JPG IMG_4026.JPG IMG_4032.JPG )?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks!

You should seal that hole as best as possible, but if that much water is getting under your slab, you absolutely have to stop that from happening. The large amounts of water accumulating under the slab is the problem, the water coming up through that opening is just a symptom.

You may meed to install a sump oump somewhere. What is your history of this house? Any signs of previous leaks. Do neighbors have any issue. What is issue outside?

It looks like you guys have a lot of ground water, or something else is wrong. I ran into this problem 2 weeks ago at a customers house. I installed a sump pit with pump.

Back