Is heater a silent killer?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
speaking of smoke detectors can they be modified to include a hard-wire connection if the detector has battery power only as it came from the factory ?
specifically this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064S9IQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

You are posting to a thread that is a few years old. You should have started a new thread, but I will respond to your question.
You cannot modify a DC (battery only) smoke or CO alarm to operate on AC (line voltage).
If you are using DC units, consider using Lithium batteries instead of alkaline. They are more expensive but will last much longer. Some models on the market today are using non-replaceable Lithium batteries that claim a 10 year life, but then have to be thrown away at the end of their life.
Many models today are able to connect wirelessly to each other.

My area just introduced a new regulation for hard-wired only smoke detectors. Battery only are no longer allowed. My house (19 years old) has all hardwired (8) and connected smoke detectors along with 4 CO detectors (plugin). All the smokes have battery backup. I have actually never seen a battery only CO detector. Do they exist?

In Vermont the law has been that all smoke alarms must be Photoelectric only. All CO and smoke alarms must be powered by the building's electrical service (AC) with battery backup for ALL buildings built after January 1, 1994. If built before that date, DC only alarms are allowed.
Yes, CO alarms that are DC only are widely available.

Latest posts

Back