Is heater a silent killer?

Discussion in 'General Plumbing Help' started by watson, Jun 9, 2016.

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating:

1. Feb 11, 2019 #21

fixitron

fixitron

fixitron

You are posting to a thread that is a few years old. You should have started a new thread, but I will respond to your question.
    You cannot modify a DC (battery only) smoke or CO alarm to operate on AC (line voltage).
    If you are using DC units, consider using Lithium batteries instead of alkaline. They are more expensive but will last much longer. Some models on the market today are using non-replaceable Lithium batteries that claim a 10 year life, but then have to be thrown away at the end of their life.
    Many models today are able to connect wirelessly to each other.

2. Feb 11, 2019 #22

PlumbGate

PlumbGate

PlumbGate

My area just introduced a new regulation for hard-wired only smoke detectors. Battery only are no longer allowed. My house (19 years old) has all hardwired (8) and connected smoke detectors along with 4 CO detectors (plugin). All the smokes have battery backup. I have actually never seen a battery only CO detector. Do they exist?

3. Feb 11, 2019 #23

fixitron

fixitron

fixitron

In Vermont the law has been that all smoke alarms must be Photoelectric only. All CO and smoke alarms must be powered by the building's electrical service (AC) with battery backup for ALL buildings built after January 1, 1994. If built before that date, DC only alarms are allowed.
    Yes, CO alarms that are DC only are widely available.

4. Feb 11, 2019 #24

Mikey

Mikey

Mikey

Well-Known Member Supporting Member

In a word, no.