Is a trap between tank and house a good idea??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

videopuppy

Reaction score
I'm getting sewer smell back in the house. I know there is an underlying problem somewhere, but I was told by someone to put a trap close to the tank.

Is that normal to trap a septic tank? Sounds like a clog waiting to happen.

Best
Dave

Adding a trap would be asking for problems and also violating Code. Double-trapping is not allowed and you would be doing this to the whole plumbing system. Years ago, House Traps were common, but codes and times have changed.

Current plumbing code requires that each individual fixture is trapped, therefore you don't need a house trap. Your septic tank usually ties into the venting system of the house and helps prevent the buildup of gases within the tank that can make it go 'boom'!

If you're getting an odor in your house, check for floor drains that have no water in them. If you don't use floor drains, they can dry out and let sewer gas into the house. Also check other fixtures that are not regularly used.

Tips on odor from floor drains

Last edited:
Wow, I could open a can-o-worms with the house trap debate, but will not due to popular opinion on the matter...especially with septic systems. Codes in different regions have different requirements for different reasons. In Reading, PA you may encounter the suggestion to install a trap because it is common to the area. What you have to look at is the facts and details to determine if this is necessary.
Is this a new problem? Have there been any changes to the plumbing system lately? Has your septic tank been pumped within that last few years? Are there any sewage issues in the leech bed (where the waste water soaks into the soil after the tank.)? Do you have vents for each fixture or a main vent that goes through the roof? Does this happen during any particular event, such as doing laundry or running the dishwasher? Is there a vent pipe for the tank in your yard and can you see inside it? Is flowing or backed up water visible anywhere inside or outside the house? How many toilets do you have and does the smell seem to come from around a particular toilet (wax ring seal is compromised)?

I'm getting sewage fragrance back again in the home. I know there is an inherent issue somewhere, but I was informed by someone to put a entice near to the container.

Latest posts

Back