Intermittent leak on kitchen worksurface

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebeccahelendeeth

Reaction score
IMG_0818.jpeg
Trying to work out what this could be. It’s been appearing intermittently for over a year now. Thought it could be rain getting through an outside vent but today is a lovely sunny day. Haven’t used the washing machine for at least two days so can’t be that. The kitchen sink is on the same side as the leak. Dishwasher no longer works so is switched off. Any ideas anyone? I have loosed the switches and put tissue paper behind them to see if they get wet but they don’t. I have left a message for a reliable plumber but maybe it is something else? It seems as if the water seeps through underneath the beading? Have pulled out the tumble dryer which is directly beneath the leak and cannot see any wet patches, The dishwasher which is to the left of the leak is too difficult for me to move out.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Here in the U.S. most dwellings have a water meter, so we observe the meter to not if there is water running. Sometimes we want to observe the meter over a longer period in the case of tiny leaks.
Then, it is purely observational as to where to check further.

View attachment 40456
Trying to work out what this could be. It’s been appearing intermittently for over a year now. Thought it could be rain getting through an outside vent but today is a lovely sunny day. Haven’t used the washing machine for at least two days so can’t be that. The kitchen sink is on the same side as the leak. Dishwasher no longer works so is switched off. Any ideas anyone? I have loosed the switches and put tissue paper behind them to see if they get wet but they don’t. I have left a message for a reliable plumber but maybe it is something else? It seems as if the water seeps through underneath the beading? Have pulled out the tumble dryer which is directly beneath the leak and cannot see any wet patches, The dishwasher which is to the left of the leak is too difficult for me to move out.

Many thanks!
Take another pic and Show the entire area so I can see how everything’s laid out.

@Twowaxhack It’s a galley kitchen so I’ve taken a few photos to get everything in. The cupboard underneath the sink is empty - just pipes from sink. The cupboard left of that has the washing machine. The cupboard left again is just storage. The dishwasher (turned off at wall, not used) is to the right of the sink, right again is the tumble dryer and right again is the fridge freezer

Attachments

• IMG_0822.jpeg
    IMG_0822.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0821.jpeg
    IMG_0821.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0824.jpeg
    IMG_0824.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I had water getting under the bead behind my sink and running over and dripping on the floor about 6 feet to the right of the sink, hours after the water splashing around the sink had been cleaned up.

I'd make sure the sink, countertops, backsplash, and seal are all kept dry (and/or dig out that seal and redo it).

Watering any plants on the same level or above as the leak ?

Condensation from poor dryer vent connection in the wall ?

Try not using anything in the kitchen and see if the water returns. If not, add one appliance back into the mix every couple days and try to see a correlation with using the appliances and the leak.

I believe you’ve already ruled out weather.

To be honest, the only appliances I’ve been using are the fridge freezer, the sink (not really an appliance), and the washing machine - hadn’t used this for two days but it still happened.

I’ve been having a text discussion with my plumber and he wonders if it is coming from the bathroom behind the tiles. The bathroom is above the kitchen. I have a separate shower and bath but I haven’t used the shower for a few years as there was a leak issue and it was going to be costly to get to the bottom of it so I just use the bath. I use the bath every morning but most of the time there isn’t water on the work surface.

Yeah ruled out the weather. The problem is sometimes it doesn’t happen for a few weeks so I can’t stay out of the kitchen that long. I’ll let you know what the plumber says. What is it?!

Ps It’s probably Vader and the dark side

Latest posts

Back