Insulating 1” hepex??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

europe72dead

Reaction score
I unfortunately have to run 1” hepex through an exterior wall. I do plan to insulate the 3.75” cavity but I also want to run insulation around the hepex as an added layer of protection.

I’ll first add R13 Kraft faced batts in the wall and the plan to use one of the two pipe insulators as well. Cost isn’t really a factor- I just want the best product for the job…

What do you suggest and why?

1ECE8D60-B619-4D90-8D91-1014E280116E.png
3DE1EF6F-699F-4E40-A457-5D93D778E7DA.png

Fiberglass pipe insulation is what is used commercially. It works the best and comes in thicknesses as little as 1/2" up to 4" thick. We usually use 1"thick insulation.

Since your insulating the cavity your insulation probably doesn't need to be anything special. The bad thing about fiberglass insulation is the nasty itchyness. But it's the best.

Any one of the two you have posted would be fine. The long flex able one would probably be the easiest.

If your going with the rubber I think i would get as long of lengths as I could. Joining that stuff sucks and it doesn't stay together that well unless you use the proper solvent type glue proper insulation is tedious but is worth the savings.

I’d use the rubber type, it’s closed cell.

There is a black polyethylene one that is closed cell and stiffer. There is a softer black one, more rubber-like, used a lot for HVAC pipe, and I didn't think that was closed cell. I think you are referring to the stiffer polyethylene type, right?

There is a black polyethylene one that is closed cell and stiffer. There is a softer black one, more rubber-like, used a lot for HVAC pipe, and I didn't think that was closed cell. I think you are referring to the stiffer polyethylene type, right?
I’m referring to the Armaflex in the OP’s post above.

Latest posts

Back