Instant hot water plumbing and pinhole leaks

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickFromWA

Reaction score
hw piping 1.jpghw piping 2.jpg

We have a recirculating hot water system that delivers instant hot water to any faucet in our 2003 house. There is a small, red, pump mounted above the water heater. There is a timer attached to the pump so that it only runs during the day. I believe there is an extra loop of copper piping that runs through the entire house.

Twice we've had pin hole leaks develop in the copper piping just past the pump above the water heater. It makes sense that leaks would develop here first because the pressure from the pump is greatest here.

I am seriously concerned that other leaks will or have developed in other parts of the house. Currently when the water comes on in the morning I can hear slow dripping for about 60 seconds in the master bathroom wall (no signs of water damage anywhere though). This started a few months ago. I imagine it will only get worse.

What are my options and how concerned should I be? Turning off the recirc system means it takes a good 5 minute for hot water to reach the master bedroom. Not a good option.

Is replacing all the copper piping an option? Can that be done without destroying the entire 4 bedroom 3 1/2 bathroom house? Replace with what? Is there a better option than copper?

Other secondary question: Why are there 2 pipes leading off the cold side of the water heater, into the pump and then into the house? Is one the start and one the return for the recir system? This doesn't make sense to me because they are both on the same side of the pump. Do they perhaps go to 2 different loops?

Two pipes on the cold side is because one is the return line of the recirc system.
Check valve is supposed to be on the cold water pipe.
Quality piping dictates long sweeps on recirc systems to prevent velocity erosion. Where exactly have the pinholes been? What pump?
Pipe or near Elbows?

Back