Installing shut of valve during vanity and sink install

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rudyray3325

Reaction score
Been reading and learning a lot and have a couple of questions. I'm going to replace a vanity/sink in a 15 year old house, and noticed that there were no shut off valves installed with the supply lines to the existing builder supplied faucet. I think it makes sense to have the hot + cold shut off valves, but what I see are pvc coming out of the wall, connected to an elbow joint which connects directly to the supply lines at the faucet. Can I attach the appropriate shut off valve to the elbow connector, and then to the flex supply lines on the new faucet? Or do I need to replace the elbow joint with a angle compression valve (and have to cut the pvc, etc)? Or something else? Looking for some advice / guidance. Thanks

View media item 733

You may also want to check out Brass Craft Sure-2-connect valves at their website. They simply push on to the pipe and are held on with a clip. I haven't used them yet, so I don't know the cost, but I may try them on one of my rental properties when I do a bath demo.

You may also want to check out Brass Craft Sure-2-connect valves at their website. They simply push on to the pipe and are held on with a clip. I haven't used them yet, so I don't know the cost, but I may try them on one of my rental properties when I do a bath demo.

Thanks for the response. So in this example (I'll call it option #2) I would remove the elbow joint, cut the PEX (i made a mistake in the original post and said PVC, but its PEX), and then connect this Brass Craft Sure-2-connect push valve?

As I understand it, yes. Before cutting the existing pex, check the installation instructions. From memory, I believe you need a minimum of 2 5/8" sticking out of the wall.

^^^ Rickyman makes a great point. Look in your basement near where the water comes into the house for a manifold with a bunch of red (hot) and blue (cold) pex pipes connected to it. If you have that, the manifold has all the shutoffs, and none are needed at the individual fixtures. If you don't have a manifold system, you will have to add the shutoffs under the sink.

^^^ Rickyman makes a great point. Look in your basement near where the water comes into the house for a manifold with a bunch of red (hot) and blue (cold) pex pipes connected to it. If you have that, the manifold has all the shutoffs, and none are needed at the individual fixtures. If you don't have a manifold system, you will have to add the shutoffs under the sink.

Good point Rickyman & jeffmattero76. I just checked. No manifold in this house. Just the main (with the main supply shut off), which feeds to 1 PEX pipe that branches off to various locations through the house. So, adding the shutoff valves under the sink looks like the way to go here.

Sorry for the late response, but its taken me a whle to get back to this. But thanks everyone for the help. I ended up using the 3/8 compression shut off valve and its been working very well.

20190312_192856_crop.jpg

Reactions: SHR

Latest posts

Back