installing shower mixing valve and knob

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevespens

Reaction score
Hello All,

First off, I hope I posted in the right spot. I see there is a manufactured home forum. but this is sort of generic.

I have a couple of questions for you all. Heres the run down.

I am planning the installation of a walk in, door less shower unit. It will be replacing a garden tub. I am in a mobile home. It is a 2002 Fleetwood. The pipes out of the floor are 1/2" CPVC. The shower unit will have glass block on two walls, tile on the other two, one of which will have the shower valve and shower head. I hope that is all the info you will need.

My questions are the fallowing;

1) What type of mixing valve and knob assembly can I use?

2) Can I use a valve with threaded fittings?

3) Do all mixing valves have two outlets? What do I do with the lower one?

4) What is the standard height of the valve?

5) Is there a tutorial for this on the site?

6) Anything else I missed, please fill in.

thanks in advance for any help. Hope I'm not asking the "same old" question.
Steve

You should be able to use any standard shower assembly. Most retail valves require threaded fittings, which is fine you will just need to adapt to a brass MIP of FIP from your CPVC.

Not all mixing valves have two outlets, but manufacturers have found it cheaper to throw in a tub spout with the units instead of manufacturing two separate valve types, making packaging and instructions for two skus and then attempting to have retail outlets stock both skus of what is essentially the same thing. You can buy a simple brass cap to cover the bottom outlet if you do not want a tub spout.

The standard height to the center of your valve (where the handle will be) is about 42" from the floor of the shower. Some people like it lower or higher, depending on the people that will be using the unit. If you want, stand where the shower will be and reach out to where you think the handle would be comfortable. That is where it should be ;)

As far as I know there isn't a tutorial here, but I have never gone digging through old posts to find one either.

Back