Installing a Water Pressure Regulator

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyseek

Reaction score
I have an issue with water hammering. My water pressure is 72. I called out the Water Company to check it out. He flushed the lines and the water hammering went away. However it returned.

It seems to me that the water pressure regulator should be installed where the main water shutoff valve is. If the water company is responsible for raising the water pressure, I would think they could install one for a reasonable charge. If I have to go through a local plumber, what ballpark amount would it cost? Plumbers here in Indiana can be outrageous.

Thanks for any help..

It depends on a lot of factors. I would guess $250 to $500 depending on externalities.

the prv goes after the main stop. I do like to make a connection for the irrigation system before the prv so it gets full pressure . the pressure should not go over 60 -65 lbs. In my book the prv is the responsibility of the home owner

Can you clarify main stop? My thought is to install it at the main that is covered and located out by the street in my front yard. Not sure what the correct name except for the water company main.

Thanks!

Can you clarify main stop? My thought is to install it at the main that is covered and located out by the street in my front yard. Not sure what the correct name except for the water company main.

Thanks!
No you install it on your house. Right after the main valve and meter

72 is borderline for needing a regulator, there are water hammer arresors available that would probably solve your problem, maybe you could install a couple of them yourself. Google water hammer arrestor.

Back