Installing a Water Filter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob4Jesus

Reaction score
Helo Forum,

I recently purchased a Reverse Osmosis water filter. While trying to install it the instructions assume that there is a flexible line leading from the sink to the water shutoff valve.

The instructions mention that if the line is rigid plastic, which mine is, then it will need to be installed using a compression fitting and that that process is not otherwise included in the manual.

I assume that I am going to need to cut the water line to make room for their T connector. What I don't know is:
  • How much line should I cut and what margin of error is there?
  • How can I cut it without damaging the remaining portion?
  • When I go to buy a compression fitting, which one do I buy?
Please help.

--Jacob

Turn the water valve off, remove the ridgid pipe and replace it with a stainless braid flex line.

Post pics of your piping and the name/ model number of the unit you’re installing.

Your set up is different from what they are describing because they are assuming 3/8" flex connector. You have 3/8" cpvc which is hard piped from your 1/2" shut off with a 1/2" x 3/8" bushing. I believe you need a 3/8" cpvc glue by 3/8" compression adapter, then you can start building your RO set up. I am not to familiar with cpvc piping

Your set up is different from what they are describing because they are assuming 3/8" flex connector. You have 3/8" cpvc which is hard piped from your 1/2" shut off with a 1/2" x 3/8" bushing. I believe you need a 3/8" cpvc glue by 3/8" compression adapter, then you can start building your RO set up. I am not to familiar with cpvc piping

So I should cut it like I was planning?

That leads to my original questions.

--Jacob

Turn the valve off and unscrew the nut that’s attached to the outlet. Then remove the nut securing it to the faucet above.

Be careful unscrewing the nut to the valve. CPVC is brittle and breaks easily.

I suggest being able to turn all the water off to the home before you start.

Post the name and model number of the unit you’re trying to install.

The joints on top of that valve look shady Turn off water to the house and drain. Cut off that valve right at the bottom of it with a saw blade. Don’t use ratchet cutters. Replace with a new 1/2” cpvc x 3/8 comp straight valve. Replace the supply line with a 1/2” x 3/8”x 20” braided supply line. You will also need to get a small can of glue for the valve. Then you can install as the instructions say. All parts can be obtained for 40$ at the blue or orange store of your choice

Here is what happened.

I took the PVC water line and the adapter from the filter box to my favorite hardware store. The staff there were very helpful and gave me what I needed. We replaced the line with a flexible equivalent and gave me a T bracket that would attach to the adapter from the box. They were out of the cap I needed for the other end of the adapter but I was able to find one at the blue place.

I used thread tape liberally. As I type this it's midway through its 24-hour purge process and there are no leaks so far.

Thank you all for your help. Even though I didn't follow your advice specifically, this conversation really helped me get my head around this.

--Jacob

Latest posts

Back