Installing a new subfloor around toilet flange?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtlplumbing

Reaction score
I've ripped up all my subflooring in my bathroom...the toilet flange is still in good condition, question is, how do I refloor around the flange and still have the floor solid enough around the tiolet...or do I have to remove the old flange to keep the flooring in a solid piece...please help

It depends on what your subfloor is made of. Without knowing anything else, I would cut the subfloor to the nearest floor joist, and remove 1/2 the width of the joist, in order to get enough meat to screw properly. As far as the flange, I would attempt to center the new piece of subfloor directly over the flange, and cut an appropriate sized hole. I would also use "Liquid Nails" or similar product when nailing the subfloor to avoid squeaks.

It is important that the flange be anchored securely to the floor system. If it is necessary, I would even go so far as to do as havasu has suggested, and then attach blocks of 2x4 or the like to the bottom side of the subfloor underneath the lip of the flange. Then put spacers in between the flange and the blocks, and screw the flange to the blocks with heavy duty screws.

Latest posts

Back