Installing a ceramic toilet cistern on drywall

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgplarnold

Reaction score
I want to replace our plastic toilet cistern with a ceramic one. The plastic one is about 12 years old and is a dual flush type.
The wall which the existing plastic cistern is attached to (with screws) is a hollow wall clad in 3/8" plaster board (drywall/wallboard/gypsum board).

Will it be strong enough to take the extra weight of a ceramic cistern?
As far as I can tell there is no timber behind it where the existing cistern is.

Thanks

I don't think I would trust the tank to just drywall anchors. A porcelain tank probably weighs around 15-20lbs, plus another 10lbs of water when full.

Thanks Matt.

I suspected that would be the reply even though ramset wallmate advertise that their product will support up to 22lbs each in a drywall (total 44lbs for two).
Not worth the risk I guess.
Unless I also attached two small shelf supports under the cistern which wouldn't be seen (total 4 attachments)?. Maybe that might work.

Hi Matt

I have learned since I did my original post/question that the wall cladding is a product named VILLABOARD here in Australia. It is 6mm think and a compressed composite HARD waterproof material unlike paper faced plaster board.
The manufacturer on their web site states that a single 12 gauge self tapping screw can hold 12 lbs of weight (2 screws 24 lbs) and I am wondering that perhaps a 14 gauge or even 16 gauge screw could hold even more.
Apart from that I could attach a small bracket under the cistern for added strength. Have you seen this done before and would it work?
Thanks

I would feel pretty good about adding a support bracket. Good idea.

I'm not familiar with that product (I'm in Canada), but it sounds like strong stuff

Back