installation of new sprinkler in my garden

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cassandra

Reaction score
I am planning to install new sprinkler in our garden. Which type of pipes should be used for outdoor plumbing? PVC pipes, galvanized pipes, or copper pipes? I was going to opt for PVC, but I recently got to know that these pipes can get damaged due to high temperatures. What do you suggest?

Sprinkler system are usually piped in pvc. Being you are in NY you will need to bleed/blow the system out every winter.

I'm not sure what types of high temperatures you are expecting , but pvc for sprinklers is commonly used, easy to install and easy to find at home improvement stores. cpvc can be used as well. More of a concern than heat is freezing, where both can crack and burst if not drained down properly each year before winter.
Becoming more popular is pex, though it requires a specific tool and fittings to make connections. The tool and fittings are becoming more commonplace in home improvement stores as well. A benefit to pex is that it can freeze and typically hold true until it thaws unless a fitting/connection is frozen.
There are plenty of installation help videos for all of them on the internet for which ever you choose.
Please keep in mind that irrigation systems need back flow protection devices installed to protect the house's clean water from contaminants outside and in the soil. If one isn't already in place, you should contact a registered plumber who is backflow certified to install the appropriate device to keep you and your family safe.

I'm not sure what types of high temperatures you are expecting , but pvc for sprinklers is commonly used, easy to install and easy to find at home improvement stores. cpvc can be used as well. More of a concern than heat is freezing, where both can crack and burst if not drained down properly each year before winter.
Becoming more popular is pex, though it requires a specific tool and fittings to make connections. The tool and fittings are becoming more commonplace in home improvement stores as well. A benefit to pex is that it can freeze and typically hold true until it thaws unless a fitting/connection is frozen.
There are plenty of installation help videos for all of them on the internet for which ever you choose.
Please keep in mind that irrigation systems need back flow protection devices installed to protect the house's clean water from contaminants outside and in the soil. If one isn't already in place, you should contact a registered plumber who is backflow certified to install the appropriate device to keep you and your family safe.

Hey thanks. you have explained very well. I will Surely benefit from your suggestion.

hi hello,

Mostly PVC and CPVC Pipes are used to install Sprinkler in Garden, I don't think it will get damaged due to high temperature.

My suggestion is thin wall 160 psi PVC. It has a larger inside diameter than SCH 40 has a much larger ID than CPVC. It is more flexible making it possible to turn corners without the use of fittings. (Not 90° corners, but it is flexible.)

Latest posts

Back