Inlet pipe at bottom of septic tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platinum13

Reaction score
Just purchased an old home and, upon having the septic tank pumped, discovered that the inlet pipe is at the very bottom of the tank. The fellow pumping said, in all his years, has never seen anything like it. Siblings and I purchased the property from my parents and I am living in it with my children so obviously I have the greatest concerns about the septic system. It's been used this way for decades. The tank has always been emptied every 2 years. I had to call prematurely to have it emptied because the toilet wouldn't flush and water was starting to back up in the drains. The inlet pipe was clogged. Even after having the tank emptied, the bath tub fills to halfway when showering and then suddenly drains. Kitchen sink does the same thing. I'm assuming the sewage pipe is always full and drains only when enough water weight in it to push into the tank past the sludge. I will be looking at having a pump installed and running an inlet pipe to the appropriate location in the tank. Siblings feel that since it's worked for decades the way it is, it's not a necessary fix. I obviously believe it is and am also concerned about health risks from sewage always sitting in that pipe - possibly methane gas coming up the drains? There is a vent outside that has a constant smell coming from it. But can that vent allow fresh air back in if the main pipe is always full? I appreciate any input or experience anyone could provide on this. Thanks.

The inlet needs to be higher than the outlet. I would have a licensed professional come out and check it out.

Latest posts

Back