Indirect Drainage Problem (without getting thru the floor)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMASTERJ

Reaction score
Hello all! glad to be here.... gonna be doing quite some plumbing work with a handyman of mine to lower cost of my new business so I hope this is the right place to get some good pro info!

So with my new biz, they are requiring a 3 basin sink like a restaurant kitchen, and with this they require an indirect plumbing for the drain of this sink. And the "official" doc states:

"Unless approved by the local plumbing authority, all warewashing sinks, culinary (prep) sinks,
ice machines, and commercial dish machines must be indirectly plumbed to a sewage outlet
pipe by either an air gap or air break."

Here is an image in our doc that shows an example and another photo the state office sent me as real life examples:

PDF Doc Image.JPG

Photo from Viv.JPG

This is my dilemma... in my new space, the only thing that has any water access is the bathroom, which is hear the room where I want the 3 basin sink, just across a 3 foot space in the hall.

Initially I was planning on just drilling holes through the wall and connecting a pipe directly from the 3-sink to the bathroom pipes to flow into and drain out using a mini-water pump and adding a portable tankless water heater.

But a licensed plumber told me, and another agreed, that if we need that indirect drain, that is impossible, that we need to basically smash into and dig out the concrete floor, and run pipes into the ground and into the sewage line.

This will clearly cost me a TON more than my first option. In fact, quotes were like $3k - $5k ! (depending on any adversity with the concrete and pies underground)

So as the statement in the doc states:

"Unless approved by the local plumbing authority..."

can I use this to work around this? Example:

I find a plumber who can make this work WITH an indirect drain as shown, and use some contraption/setup that doesnt require us to tear up all the hard concrete and still get the job done, AND have a "local plumbing authority" approve it, thus, showing the city and Dept of Agriculture inspector that this is legit and will work the same safely?

Also I do not even know what a "local plumbing authority" is... I been asking my city hall office in charge of permits/inspecting and they have no idea either, so how do I find this "local plumbing authority"?

And I am open to ALL out of the box thinking here... This is a LEASED space and I really rather not be tearing up concrete to get this done, spending so much, since I already have to spend thousands on other parts of the space, it'll just get to be too much, even though at the end of the day, I am fully vested already in this and too late to turn back really.

Thank you!

Plumb to the grease tank just like the picture. After grease tank. Dump into your pump basin. From there pump it where you want. Your sinks won’t be in contact with your plumbing. So then listeria and other bacteria doesn’t migrate into your clean water. But always check with inspector. Most will answer all your questions. They would rather teach you than argue after your hard work.

you have more problems than you realize
a 3 compartment sink has to have 140 degree water to wash the dishes. or the health department will shut you down.
AND
you are required to have a hand washing sink with water temp below 120 degrees for employees to wash hands to prepare food.. or the health department will shut you down..

drain piping is undersized for a 3 compartment sink
drain piping has no vent

hor_went_vent.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back