increasing pressure...which way?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willfire67

Reaction score
My current pressure from muni is 30 psi at the street feed. Being 200' back, it is 28 at the house. I want to increase that at the house. My old house had a well/pump/booster tank. Should I just install a booster tank to increase it or one of those Pentair Water 3075SS Total Home Pressure Water Booster Systems? I do not want anything that is constantly on and running when there is no water flow in the house, nor do I want something that makes alot of noise, the quieter the better!

I would stay away from that unit from Pentair if you want something that will last more than a few years. Assuming more water can be drawn from your water line, a little 1/2hp Jet Pump would do the job. That along with a Flow Switch. That switch on the Pentair unit has a small diaphragm that acts like a mini tank. If you have any leaks whatsoever, that thing will hammer that pump on and off like crazy.

Thanks speedbump! Is a flow switch used to only turn it on when it calls for water? What's your opinion on using just a pressure tank instead of a pump?

Yes, the flow switch watches for 1 gallon per minute or more to turn on. The tank and switch is the best solution if you have a wife that likes to stand at the kitchen sink and turn on/off the water a lot. That cycles the pump. If she can get used to leaving it run (I know, here come the enviro weenies saying I'm wasting water) until done, then the flow switch works great.

I just read your post again, you want to know whether to use a pump or just a tank. Big difference. The tank only; will not help at all. You need the pump to do the boosting.

Back