Increased Water Pressure Issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelB

Reaction score
I am having increased water pressure issues and can not figure out why. I had a tiny hole develop in the expansion tank of my hot water heater and had the tank replaced. Ever since them, it seems like the water pressure is more forceful than what it was prior to the replacement, especially when flushing the toilets (it seems like it is a harder cutoff). I can run the hot water out of the tap from one of the faucets for 30-45 seconds, then flush a toilet and everything seems normal. However, a few minutes later it seems like the increased water pressure is back. I have checked the incoming water pressure and it does not appear that it has changed. Any ideas what could be going on and how it can be fixed?

The expansion tank might have too much air in it.
You can adjust and lower the stored pressure in the tank.
You will probably need a pressure gauge.
Or trial and error.

Or just call whoever installed the expansion tank, to come back and adjust it properly.

You also might have a pressure reducing valve where your water service enters the house, or near the water meter.

This might need adjusting down, or repair or replacement.

I am having increased water pressure issues and can not figure out why. I had a tiny hole develop in the expansion tank of my hot water heater and had the tank replaced. Ever since them, it seems like the water pressure is more forceful than what it was prior to the replacement, especially when flushing the toilets (it seems like it is a harder cutoff). I can run the hot water out of the tap from one of the faucets for 30-45 seconds, then flush a toilet and everything seems normal. However, a few minutes later it seems like the increased water pressure is back. I have checked the incoming water pressure and it does not appear that it has changed. Any ideas what could be going on and how it can be fixed?
1. Did you have this water pressure issue prior to replacing the expansion tank with the tiny hole in it?

2. What pressure reading did you get for the incoming water pressure? Do you have one of those pressure gauges with the Maximum Pointer, so you could see just how high the pressure had reached?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Winters...e2Dvn19anEH8oF3dGNwaAg8NEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

3. What size is your water heater tank?

4. What size is your expansion tank?

5. Was the expansion tanks air pressure set at the incoming water pressure prior to installing into the system?

6. Do you have a PRV(Pressure Reducing Valve) on your Incoming water supply?

Latest posts

Back