In Line Water Filter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stulgs

Reaction score
I have a in-line under sink water filter that I would like to fit to filter the water going into my refrigerator.

The water line to the fridge is a 1/4c x 1/4c braided line. The supply lines to the filter are made to fit a standard sink supply line, which I think is 3/8".

So I think I need to get an adapter which will take the male 1/4" from the wall at the valve and make it a 3/8" male at the valve to connect to the filter inlet.

Then I think I will need an adapter that will make the 3/8" male to a 1/4" male to connect to the existing hose.

I'm having a very hard time finding these adapters online so if anyone could point me to a source and what exactly I need, I would appreciate it!

Thank you for your help!

Does the water line from the sink already run over to the fridge?

Why do you want to put the filter there?

Do you have a basement or crawl under the fridge?

Meanwhile, it is usually easier to splice in a typical fridge water filter, which already has correct fittings for a fridge water line.

I think they need changing every six months to a year, so putting it behind the fridge would require pulling out the fridge to change it.

So somewhere ahead of the fridge, like in a basement ceiling, with a shutoff valve immediately upstream, or even better both up and downstream right there, is a convenient way to filter it and maintain it.

So lots more info on your whole setup and intentions would be helpful.

Thanks for your response!

There is an existing supply valve from the wall behind the fridge. This valve has a 1/4" outlet for a braided ice maker supply line.

I'd like to fit the filter unit I have in between the existing valve and the existing waterline connected to the fridge.

So wall 1/4" wall valve -> water filter unit (which has 3/8 fittings for a regular sink supply line) -> existing fridge water line.

This unit is good for a minimum of 12 months and moving the fridge in this location to replace filters is no hassle at all.

Hope this helps and thanks again!

Get a 3/8" compression tee and then a 3/8" x 1/4" compression coupling and then run 1/4" over to the fridge.

Back