Identify this valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zlalq

Reaction score
Hello all,

Can someone help me identify this valve? It's the only type that looks like this in my house. First time I seen such a valve.

It's located under my kitchen sink and it leads to my dishwasher. I believe it to be a water shut off valve but it doesn't turn at all.
do I need to unscrew a bit to turn it right (Clockwise)?

I thought I could hand turn it 1/4 to the right so the valve is 90drgrees to the pipe to shut off the water to dishwasher.

Any help is appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_20211021_190541.jpg
    IMG_20211021_190541.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 31
I’m not sure which way it turns but it’s a 1/4 turn ballvalve.

You could take the handle off and then check to see which way to turn it.

How does removing the handle allow me to see which way it turns?
Sorry this is all new to me.

How does removing the handle allow me to see which way it turns?
Sorry this is all new to me.

Because the handle is made to only allow the valve to turn one way. By looking at how it’s made a person could determine what way it turns.

Thanks for your replies. What makes it more confusing is this valve appears to be installed backwards as the text is upside down.
I am afraid I will snap it if I twist the wrong direction.

Is it possible that the screw needs to be unscrewed for the valve to turn or is it just a stuck valve?

Thanks for your replies. What makes it more confusing is this valve appears to be installed backwards as the text is upside down.
I am afraid I will snap it if I twist the wrong direction.

Is it possible that the screw needs to be unscrewed for the valve to turn or is it just a stuck valve?
It's not a unidirectional valve and water would flow either way so whether or not the text is right side up or upside down doesn't matter.

Cupla more things - that's a quarter-turn valve. In your photo the valve allows water to flow. If you turn the control 90 degrees so that it goes "across" the valve, it will shut off the water flow. And if you continue to turn it another quarter-turn, the water will flow again.

Also, be sure to hold the valve body firmly with another pair of pliers when you turn the valve control. To me, the black collars where the pipes connect to the valve look like they could break if you are not careful when you turn the valve control.

Cupla more things - that's a quarter-turn valve. In your photo the valve allows water to flow. If you turn the control 90 degrees so that it goes "across" the valve, it will shut off the water flow. And if you continue to turn it another quarter-turn, the water will flow again.

Also, be sure to hold the valve body firmly with another pair of pliers when you turn the valve control. To me, the black collars where the pipes connect to the valve look like they could break if you are not careful when you turn the valve control.
That valve will not spin 360. It’s only going to turn one way.

Back