I'd give my left......................

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I am getting ready to do some re-caulking with 100% RTV silicone rubber.

I just received my shipment of M.E.K. and a surplus Israeli military gas mask/respirator for when I start using the stuff to try and dissolve the old silicone caulk. Any recommendations on methodology on how to apply the stuff as in what tools or applicators are appropriate and how long to wait, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

I've been just wiping my caulk with a just damp sponge forever, works perfectly every time as long as I don't lay it in too thick.
Silicone I use mineral spirits, same thing. Really not that hard, but I am just doing tubs and toilets, not many larger projects.

I've been just wiping my caulk with a just damp sponge forever, works perfectly every time as long as I don't lay it in too thick.
Silicone I use mineral spirits, same thing. Really not that hard, but I am just doing tubs and toilets, not many larger projects.
I’ve got to remove some silicone and replace it. This stuff is very difficult to remove and a was told that methyl ethyl ketone was about the only way to dissolve it.

Latest posts

Back