Ice bin drain question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallenator

Reaction score
Hi, I'm not a Plumber, I'm a piping designer, have a business with ice for drinks, the drain sometimes clogs with slime, it has an open tee about midway down the line, which overflows and lets you know it's clogged. Some plumber keeps sticking about a foot of pipe in that tee. Does anyone know of some code or manufacture requirement for doing this?

Here's what I see.

When it clogs the tee overflows below the level of the bottom of the ice bin.Fix the clog and move on.

With the standpipe, you don't know you have a clog until your slime water reaches the top of the pipe, which is also the slime water level in the ice bin, which you can't see unless you dig down deep enough.

Hey, a new drink, it's called a "Legionnaire". Anyone have any info I don't know about? I have attached a PDF sketch. Cheers.

View attachment ICE BIN DRAIN.pdf

Last edited:
the solution to your problem is WEEKLY maintenance of the ice maker drains, to stop fungi growth, pour a mixture equal parts water/ bleach into the drain weekly
about a 1/4 cup mixture. this will stop the fungi/funk/green slime/goo from growing

120vac40a_rev.jpg

Last edited:
just about everything in its path, we all swear by bleach water, have the clothes to show it.

But that is not my question. Go ahead and assume a mouse or something climbed up in the pipe and died. It is clogged by something nasty and no one knows it until water rises and overflows out the vent tee. Upset conditions eventually happen, it has before.

It is my contention that the tee without the standpipe will overflow out onto the floor and alert that it is clogged.

The standpipe would fill with water bringing the level of mousewater into the ice bin contaminating it. This could be disastrous.

With the open tee, the mousewater level can't climb any higher that the top of the tee branch.

Right?????

ICE BIN DRAIN-Model.png

inless your ice maker requires the vent, you are not required by law to have

if the line is under 15'

cut the pipe where ever you want it.

and let me know where your business is, i'll stay way, i do not like mouse **** in my ice

every ice maker i every plumbed was like this

A TEE in the line IS NOT their for a early warning overflow
your the first to say so. every one just does maintaince

120vac40a_rev.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back